Martin T1K Tenor

Mike $

Reaction score
I've been trying to decide which uke will be my first (I currently have $45 saved for a uke). I am interested in the Martin T1K tenor Uke, but since there isn't too much talk about this Uke here on UU, I hope some of you who have owned one may be able to give some opinions/insight about this model. Thanks

Hey Mike,

I don't own a T1-K. Mine's the 1T IZ all Mahogany. (Nice instrument, but a little boomy with a Low-G.) I've read a lot of owners really like it.

If you are on Facebook, there is a Martin Ukulele group. They may be able to answer your questions. https://www.facebook.com/groups/185297831810034/about

It's not as busy as this Forum. But if you don't get a reply you might try there if you are a Facebook user.

I've been trying to decide which uke will be my first (I currently have $45 saved for a uke). I am interested in the Martin T1K tenor Uke, but since there isn't too much talk about this Uke here on UU, I hope some of you who have owned one may be able to give some opinions/insight about this model. Thanks

I have the C1K. It looks nice and sounds nice. No regrets.

I have the C1K. It looks nice and sounds nice. No regrets.

I'll second the endorsement for the C1K. I love mine. I'd say regardless whether or go for the tenor or a concert, buy from a dealer that shows you pictures of each individual uke. The wood grain in the Koa can vary greatly from instrument to instrument. I picked mine from the lot based on the swirled pattern on the back.

I tried one. Martin T1K tenor has a very sweet koa tone; I like almost every thing about it. Would have been a good buy; the reason I didn't is that the finish is in very thin satin lacquer, which can be easily spoiled by my super sweaty and oily hands....

I have had a Martin T1K for about 7 years. It has great sound, volume, projection and sustain. It holds its own in a ukulele group. It is a keeper, I'd never consider selling this one.
Check out the "Got A Ukulele" website, Baz gives the T1K a thorough review and a high rating.

Hi Mike. I own one and second the good thoughts voiced so far. I am trying to justify another purchase and so might look to sell mine. I would take a fair price. It is string with worth browns. PM me if interested

Last edited:
I also had a T1K strung with Worth Browns. It was a great ukulele after I lowered the action a little. The only reason I sold it was to help finance a Ko'olau.

Great choice, I had a C1K and have a couple friends with the T1K, you're going to nee a lot more than $45 though. Try to find an older used one...

Thank you all for these encouraging posts. I appreciate the advice you have offered and will be better prepared when I have enough saved up for this one. I am thinking after my birthday in June I will be ordering one unless some miracle happens and I am able to afford one sooner. Right now I have $45 (saving for about 1.5 to 2 months).

You may also want to consider some other quality ukes with a lower budget.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KP5lOjg1zj0
https://mimsukes.com/collections/b-stock
https://shop.mainlandukuleles.com/category.sc?categoryId=3

Last edited:
@Mike$, chenx2's post is actually very relevant to your needs in more ways than what it says on the surface. There's something about not having and having. Not having a ukulele means you can't play at all vs having something cheap and functional so that you can have fun. If you can save the money for the T1K in a short time, then that's fine. However, if it'll take you nearly a year to save it, then buying a $40 uke now (or whatever you've already saved up) is a very viable option; you'll have a real uke to play on while saving for the Martin.

I have a T1K, it was the first all solid, “nice” ukulele I bought and I absolutely love it. Like you, I identified it as the uke I wanted and saved for it. Before I bought it, I noticed that it is listed with a very narrow nut width which really worried me because my previous uke (an all laminate Kala tenor) had a nut width almost 2mm wider than the T1K. Fortunately what I found is that while the T1K does have narrow nut, the string spacing (which is really what matters for playing comfort) is not narrow. The T1K’s string spacing is actually ever so slightly wider than the Kala’s was. So I’ve had no issues with it at all.

Mine has a bright, sweet tone. Compared to other all solid Koa uke’s it’s a relatively affordable price too. I’d highly recommend it.

Last edited:
Does any T1k owners experience a slight buzz in the open G string and also when G is plucked on the E and A strings?
Im seriously starting to wonder if it is actually harmonics playing tricks in my ear, I have tried everything posable to track down what is causing the buzz but as T1k owners already know, this uke has a very clear high tone. I have a set of Martin 625 strings on it. The buzz is not super bad just very annoying.

Does any T1k owners experience a slight buzz in the open G string and also when G is plucked on the E and A strings?
Im seriously starting to wonder if it is actually harmonics playing tricks in my ear, I have tried everything posable to track down what is causing the buzz but as T1k owners already know, this uke has a very clear high tone. I have a set of Martin 625 strings on it. The buzz is not super bad just very annoying.
I don't have this problem with my g string. I have had both high and low g strings on this uke and neither has produced a buzz on that note no matter where I fret the g note. Maybe you can try tuning your uke up to aDF#B. See if you still hear buzzing on that g string.

No, my T1K doesn't have a buzz on the open High-g Martin 620 fluorocarbon string. Nor with the G notes on any string.

I have not yet put Low-G strings on it.

Disclaimer: My T1K is 9 years old. (Previous owner said he bought it in 2013.)

Thanks for that guys, it’s frustrating as it’s a new uke only a few months old.

Top Bottom