Mike from Seattle

mawarmoth

Reaction score
Hello all. Mike here from Seattle for the time being.

I am a Uke newbie. That is I have just begun my Uke learning, although being around guitars forever. I got started with guitars because of a teenage daughter in Choir, for years (back in the 90's) she would sing, I told her she needed to be the full package if she would start playing guitar. Over the years I bought and built her quite a collection. You see building guitars is in my blood. My cousins formed WARMOTH guitars many years ago after moving from Indiana to Washington state. So I was always interested. Anyway I met Lynn Ellsworth in Port Orchard WA and soon found out he used to be associated with Warmoth guitars in the 80's. He is a master luthier who worked with Ken Warmoth, Jackson guitars, Wayne Charvel and many other guitar legends. Not long after that Lynn being the Jedi master of guitar building worked with me to build a few tele and strat style guitars from guitar body and neck blanks he would make, (Think Boogie Bodies). Long story short, he eventually moved to Spokane Wa and left me to continue building and customizing/hot rodding guitars on my own. While my daughter would play guitar and sing. I mostly built and customized. The Uke part of it, while I could build a guitar my hands are not really big enough to be a player. Step in the Ukulele. Now that I'm retiring for real, I will have time to learn and practice daily. So now you know me. I look forward to chatting with and learning from you all.

Mike

Welcome to UU, Mike!
Don't know about building them, but ukes are just plain fun to play! Enjoy the journey.

Hi Mike,

I've never been a builder, but a friend introduced me to a uke club and I have been hooked every since.

My hands, like yours are kind of small. I have short fingers for large hands. I could never palm a basketball and throwing a college football is difficult. So playing a guitar is also difficult. However, a tenor ukulele seems to fit just fine. I can't reach some chords 'cause my pinky won't go far enough, and points towards the index finger, but I make do.

Thank you for your service and welcome to the UU Forum.

Thanks, Ms Bean. I do not plan any Uke builds - maybe mods. But I'm sure I will buy and sell, add to my collection as I grow. This journey is for my pleasure - When my daughter comes to visit, I hope she will see my progress and want to learn as well

Mike

Kenn, Sounds like you have a plan and are making it work for you. I love sports but because of size limitations I have been limited to baseball only as a kid. Funny thing I did grow up around sports. My stepfather was a high school and eventually college baseball coach. And I in fact worked for A.R Smith during high school (owner of the Springfield redbirds) at the time AAA cardinal affiliate. Got to meet quite a few cardinals from the late 70's early 80's. Even helped Sachelle page move apartments. I had an uncle who used to be a bar manager / A.Ray smiths right hand man who used to take me to his bar as a teenager and after hours I got to meet celebrities like Mickey Mantel and Billy Martin. Big time drinkers. I have had a very "All over the board" life. Thanks for the welcome.

LukulelStrings, Yes I've built my share of Warmoth exclusive guitars. You know like I, they are mighty fine, and very spendy to build. In the end they are worth it 100%. I have one in particular that I finished a while back. Since my daughter is grown and gone, no one to play it, but at the same time I'd never sell it. It's going to be a wall hanger, Art in my new home when I get to Arizona. Thanks for the welcome.

Mike

Top Bottom