Advantages of screwed down bridge for ukulele?

clear

Reaction score
I noticed some ukuleles (actually, pretty much all the cheap ones I see on Aliexpress) use screwed down bridge instead of glue-only, i.e. they seem to not only glue the bridge but also screwed it down.

I'm wondering why?

Wouldn't the extra screws put more weight on the top without making the top stronger? That'd be counterproductive to all the hard work in making the top as light as possible while still be strong.

Any benefits?

Makes the bridge less likely to fall off (main failing point for most ukes)? I imagine those cheap uke makers are more worried about someone who doesn't know better leaving their uke in the car and then trying to get a warranty replacement than getting a great sound.

I prefer a glued on bridge, too, at least from a theoretical point of view. However, Koaloha used screwed on bridges for many years and they sound OK to me. Maybe my ears aren't good enough to judge.

Sometimes they are there mainly to mark the place the bridge is supposed to go. That makes mass assembly easier as it is more likely the bridge actually gets put in the right spot. Another reason is that the screws can act as clamps to hold the bridge in place as the glue is drying. Once again, making mass manufacturing quicker and easier.
Most pro luthiers seem to be very against a screwed on bridge.
If the bridge still manages to pull away somehow, it is going to be taking part of the top with it too. More damage.
It seems like string through body is becoming more and more acceptable though, and that also is some insurance against a bridge popping off.

When I first started to buy ukuleles, I read in several sources that the bridges were glued on because under stress, the glue will give away before the soundboard and it can be repaired fairly easily. Mostly a failsafe against temperature extremes causeing the strings to contract and tension to go way up.

I personally prefer glued bridges. Screwed on bridges just seem inelegant. And rather cheap looking. Especially when the screw heads are covered with a white plug.

I guess they are necessary for the low end ukuleles, i.e. they actually help keep the costs down even when they add an extra extra material to the manufacture. It makes sense to me.

Top Bottom