Ukulele Magazine

Jerryc41

Reaction score
I wonder if Uke Mag is in financial trouble. A couple of months ago, they asked for $99 to allow access to all back issues. Now they're asking for a donation of $2 a month. My subscription runs for several more years, and I sent them $99 the all-access, I don't plan to join the $2/month club. We will lost a lot if they go under.

If you don't have a subscription, signing up for one would help keep them going.

"Our goal: To earn the support of just 1% of our website visitors. That's where you come in.

Our request: To support our work with a pledge of as little as $2 per month."

All magazines are in financial trouble right now. Print subscriptions are way down and individual copy retail sales down even more. Advertising revenue is way down too since companies are advertising online instead. I highly doubt that this magazine was running a profit even before the pandemic.

I believe that in some of their subscription ads they mention that the magazine has never made a profit.

It would be a shame if this excellent magazine went under.

The unfortunate fact here is, once people realize a publication is in financial trouble they are even less likely to subscribe.:(

I have an online subscription. I would think that providing an online service would cost far less than printing. If more people did that, it might help.

This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly Grove near the Beverly Center
9 tenor cutaway ukes, 4 acoustic bass ukes, 12 solid body bass ukes, 14 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 39)

Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
Member The CC Strummers: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

OK, thanks, guys. I was just looking at Ukulele Magazine a day or two ago wondering about it. I was thinking about subscribing to it.

I will check out Uke Magazine, too, and see about it.

Excellent magazine--yes: subscriber--yes: even did a gift subscription for a friend: never make profit??? Well, I hope they at least break even or they will not be around much longer.

They seem to have a very small staff. I used to subscribe to a scuba magazine, and that had a staff of about four people, but they turned out a nice product every month.

I have an online subscription. I would think that providing an online service would cost far less than printing. If more people did that, it might help.

This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly Grove near the Beverly Center
9 tenor cutaway ukes, 4 acoustic bass ukes, 12 solid body bass ukes, 14 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 39)

Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
Member The CC Strummers: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

I thought so, too, but I never noticed the option to do that. Online is virtually zero cost for them - no printing and no postage. I've saved all my copies. They never go out of style.

Could you give a comparison of the two?

If you mean the content, both provide a good deal of useful information and designed very well. If you mean compared to a printed version, they both are exactly the same as the printed version.

I thought so, too, but I never noticed the option to do that. Online is virtually zero cost for them - no printing and no postage. I've saved all my copies. They never go out of style.

I downloaded their apps to my iPad from the Apple app store.

If you mean the content, both provide a good deal of useful information and designed very well. If you mean compared to a printed version, they both are exactly the same as the printed version.

I downloaded their apps to my iPad from the Apple app store.

I downloaded to my Samsung Galaxy, so I'll see what I get.

Another vote of confidence for Ukulele Magazine. They do a great job covering a wide range of experience levels, the production quality is very good, and they clearly share our love for this instrument. If you haven't subscribed, I encourage you to do so!

Another vote of confidence for Ukulele Magazine. They do a great job covering a wide range of experience levels, the production quality is very good, and they clearly share our love for this instrument. If you haven't subscribed, I encourage you to do so!

Yes. If you get the print version, they send you a link to download it before it arrives.

I am now subscribed to Ukulele Magazine. I want the other, too, but need to check to see if I can use my iPad. Uke Magazine is $49 for a paper subscription.

Top Bottom