Simplest Bridge, but still not sure on restringing

Reaction score
Hello, folks, a string broke on my Uke and so got new ones, but, not sure how to restring. I plum forgot to check on how they'd been strung when taking them off. I don't know the right terminology, sorry, but my Uke has what seems to be the most basic bridge, ie, 1 hole for each string on top, and nowt else, so cannot loop it round the bridge and tie it that way. I guess,(but won't try it unless I am sure), you feed the string down into the Uke, grab the end through the soundhole, tie in a knot so that so it can't come back up again, pull the other end until the knot meets the hole underneath, and, voila? Is that right? Or am I missing a trick? Cheers.

If it's a "string through" bridge, you have the correct procedure. Sometimes folks use beads on the inside but I'm guessing you would have remembered that when taking the stings off.

By George, I think you've got it! (Couldn't resist.)

I use small metal beads on the end of the strings after having the very thin fluorocarbon High-g and A strings pull partway into their respective holes and get jammed in there. I had to carefully use a thin needle to push the knots back into the body cavity.

When I change strings, the weight of the beads allow the ends fall towards the sound hole and easier to fish out. They cost about $1.50 for 50 at Walmart in the sewing department.

Lookup "stopper knot" for one way to tie a large knot.

When the string broke, I just whipped 'em out without thinking. I always change the lot; never comfortable with just changing one, either on guitar or Uke. Ta for the tip on the beads; I'll see if our Walmart here over the pond (AKA ASDA), has them. I am sure there's loads of retailers who'll have them though if they don't. I now await my new strings (some outfit sent me soprano strings when I ordered Tenor - annoying but quickly rectified). I have opted for the Low G this time; I do tend to get cheesed off when I play melodies rather than strum, only to find I need to use the 4th string, but of course, it's a high G. Some tunes can take using the higher note, gives them a novel sound, but of course, many tunes just sound wrong even though it's still the same note. Oh, and thanks for confirming I will be restringing correctly.

When the string broke, I just whipped 'em out without thinking. I always change the lot; never comfortable with just changing one, either on guitar or Uke. Ta for the tip on the beads; I'll see if our Walmart here over the pond (AKA ASDA), has them. I am sure there's loads of retailers who'll have them though if they don't. I now await my new strings (some outfit sent me soprano strings when I ordered Tenor - annoying but quickly rectified). I have opted for the Low G this time; I do tend to get cheesed off when I play melodies rather than strum, only to find I need to use the 4th string, but of course, it's a high G. Some tunes can take using the higher note, gives them a novel sound, but of course, many tunes just sound wrong even though it's still the same note. Oh, and thanks for confirming I will be restringing correctly.

If you want beads in the U.K. then try Hobbycraft (I’ve seen some in my local branch). For one strung through Uke I purchased M1.6 washers off of eBay, they worked a treat for me.

I use metal beads. Because, I bought a used tenor that unbeknownst to me, had those plastic cubes with letters for each string on them. As I was tightening the C string, I heard a loud crack! I thought I had cracked the wood or the saddle. Nope, I broke the cube "end stopper", the three pieces were rattling around in the body. The knot that was at the end of the string was large enough to hold the C-string without help.

I changed them all out for metal beads when I changed the strings.

Top Bottom