Hickory >> Yea, Nay, or Meh?

Brett S.

Reaction score
Every once in a while I dig through the hickory boards at my local home center and find a gem that is quarter to rift sawn, and I buy it.

Still haven't built with it, but I now have 2 instruments started that will have hickory back and sides.

I once found a guitar builder who had intriguing things to say about hickory, and I recall finding it compares to Bubinga in many regards.

Anyone here use hickory or have any thoughts?

IMG_20200624_185345816.jpgIMG_20200923_150702374.jpg

Hickory is a generic term for a lot of different trees there being at least 7 different species called "hickory" which are in the Carya genus.

I have built with Carya illinoinensis (Pecan) and it worked well (watch out for tear out), looked great and sounded excellent. A lovely wood and would make an excellent instrument.

Hickory is a generic term for a lot of different trees there being at least 7 different species called "hickory" which are in the Carya genus.

I have built with Carya illinoinensis (Pecan) and it worked well (watch out for tear out), looked great and sounded excellent. A lovely wood and would make an excellent instrument.

Yes, I'm pretty sure mine is not pecan and is one of the heavier hickories.

Almost any wood that does not split or twist itself out of shape can be used for b&s's.

Well you got me thinking, so I measured and weighed a sample and if I did it correctly it weighs in at 57lbs./ft3. Very hard and quite heavy, like in Rosewood/Ebony territory. I'll call it Pignut Hickory.

I'm not sure about the hickories, but I played a pecan uke once, and loved it. The luthier had also built an oak uke, which I loved as well.

We get a lot of reclaimed hickory from old building demolition around here. I don't think I've seen it sold new before in the local lumberyards.

What are your plans for a top?

Is that a bark inclusion on the back, or just a really dark streak?

We get a lot of reclaimed hickory from old building demolition around here. I don't think I've seen it sold new before in the local lumberyards.

What are your plans for a top?

Is that a bark inclusion on the back, or just a really dark streak?

No, I wouldn't call it an inclusion. Just a dark streak/spot.

I'm planning on spruce for the tops.

Top Bottom