Gotoh tuner rebuildable?

Oldtimer

Reaction score
Are Gotoh deluxe tuning pegs rebuildable? Mine are having a hard time holding tune on my soprano Uke...or is it that the nylon strings are stretching?
I have them tightened to the point where they are hard to turn. But every day when I take it out of the case the strings are slightly flat. My Ohana with nylgut strings geared tuners stays in tune even after days without use.
I’m new to ukes so any info would be helpfull and appreciated. Thanks in advance for all your thoughts.

Last edited:
Are Gotoh deluxe tuning pegs rebuildable? Mine are having a hard time holding tune on my soprano Uke...or is it that the nylon strings are stretching?
I have them tightened to the point where they are hard to turn. But every day when I take it out of the case the strings are slightly flat. My Ohana with nylgut strings geared tuners stays in tune even after days without use.
I’m new to ukes so any info would be helpfull and appreciated. Thanks in advance for all your thoughts.

I think Nylon strings take a really long time to stretch so that you don't have to constantly tune them to pitch. I would bet that you've over-tightened the tuning pegs. Just look at it. After you tune it, does the tuning peg slip back? if so, you can tighten it a 1/4 turn.

Another small suggestion is to reach under the string at the bridge and pull up slightly and slide your finger to the nut/headstock. This will help stretch it a little and may help accelerate the breaking in process.

Aquila Nylgut strings were designed to lessen the break-in time in theory. If you wanted to change the strings you could. Good luck - sounds like you're doing everything right.

Thanks ghostrdr...I think you are right the nylon strings seem to be settling down and not changing as much from day to day. And you were right I had the friction tuners overtightened. I backed all of them off about 1/2 turn. They are holding and turning with a reasonable amount of thumb/finger pressure. If the strings continue to stay in tune more consistently I will leave the Gotoh pegs tension there.

Top Bottom