Surprise NUD: Ambien purchased Kala Cedar Baritone

Arcy

Strummin' in the Rain
Reaction score
Last week I ordered a Kala Cedar Baritone in my sleep.
CQ3D1DVl.jpg

I thought I was trying to reduce the herd rather than increase it, but my subconscious disagrees. I honestly don't remember ordering this - I remember looking at the Kala clearance site somebody had linked here.

I'm blaming the Ambian - I had run out of my current medications and fell back on my previous Ambian prescription. I'm torn between scared and laughing on this one, but tossing the rest of the bottle so there isn't a next incident with actual consequences.

Anyway, the actual arrival wasn't a surprise - I had seen the order confirmation in my email, and I probably could have cancelled it since it took a few days to ship. However, this is a uke that was on my short list a year ago (it lost out to the Bonanza Homestead) and which I've still been tempted at for full price. Not worth fighting at the clearance price.

The first things I noticed upon opening it were:
  • GLOSSY!
  • Interesting slips of paper - a warning that it probably wasn't in tune (duh) and QC checklist that sounded more like Sweetwater than from factory. No candy. I still have Haribos.
    i3Qkm7ml.jpg
  • OMG IT'S GLOSSY!

Overall, the initial impressions are very good. It's even prettier in person than I'd thought from the pictures I'd seen. The wood is nice, the embellishments are clean and very well balanced. This is my first really glossy instrument, and that makes a very definite first impression. It's also my first slot-head. Love the look. Not sure I have an opinion one way or another as far as actual use.

The checklist was the big surprise. I expected this to be like the Kala's I'd gotten from big-box music shops: drop shipped and needing some work before they were really ready to play. All this one needed was tuning. The action at the first and 12th frets matched the promised specs, and according to both my normal target numbers and my fretting fingers that was in a good spot.

Sound-wise I like it quite a lot. It's very different from the walnut Bonanza, so I'm not at all stuck with two similar sounding instruments. I aim to take time with both of them tomorrow once the rain chases me inside [edit: It's now tomorrow - the network crashed on last night's post and I'm just now able to recover it now that the rain has chased me inside]

I have a fancy pickup (Double U0 with chorus, reverb, etc. from a previous Insomnia purchase, though that one without meds and with full consciousness) that was too deep for the Bonanza, so it might end up in this one.

The pickup's kind of ugly though, so this uke may be too pretty for it. It'll probably get a strap button, but may otherwise remain pristine. I will take off the paper protecting the strings [edit: ok, long since done] and likely change the strings, but since I hadn't planned this I didn't get replacement strings prepared.

eYw2j0Jl.jpg

Ambien is scary stuff, but at least you did something fun while you were under the influence. :)
It sounds like you got a good deal on a ukulele you wanted, so it all worked out well.

Someone I know took ambien once, and was off driving around without waking up. That's more of a worry than buying a ukulele you want at a good price.

Enjoy your new ukulele!

On Ambian, a friend drove to Baskin Robbins, bought ice cream, remembers getting the change, but nothing else; got back in the car and drove through a construction site, hit a light pole, totaled her car, but it kept going, and she got stopped by the police a mile away. Got taken to the drunk tank (not drunk, but they took a blood test assuming she was under the influence of drugs, which was true) and was allowed one phone call but didn’t know anyone’s phone number and no one is in the phone book anymore, so had to spend the weekend in jail, waiting for her hearing. That stuff should be illegal, someone could have died. So aside from not taking Ambian, the take-away message is, memorize at least one local relative or friend’s phone number. Also, go ahead and call that lawyer with the big ad in the phone book. You’ll have to call one anyway.

Pretty uke!

Ambien is scary stuff, but at least you did something fun while you were under the influence. :)
It sounds like you got a good deal on a ukulele you wanted, so it all worked out well.

Someone I know took ambien once, and was off driving around without waking up. That's more of a worry than buying a ukulele you want at a good price.

Enjoy your new ukulele!

@Arcy IMHO, you missed the most important parts in your photo of the 30-point QC Check (covered up by the notice about out-of-tune ukes).

There's is date, signature, model, and serial # on that 30-point QC paper. This is traceability and accountability. This is what makes that paper so special; otherwise, it is more or less just a printout like the useless out-of-tune notice.

@Arcy IMHO, you missed the most important parts in your photo of the 30-point QC Check (covered up by the notice about out-of-tune ukes).

There's is date, signature, model, and serial # on that 30-point QC paper. This is traceability and accountability. This is what makes that paper so special; otherwise, it is more or less just a printout like the useless out-of-tune notice.
Good point, though it depends on how they implement that accountability. I hope there's pride in the process there. The individual items are all pre-checked off including the N/A ones, so there's no sign that OTH (the signed initials) actually looked at each item individually. That said, I haven't caught any significant issues on this one, and I did on my previous BBS ones. The date signed is after I ordered it and about when it would have gone out the door, so it's not just something tossed in the box when it's put on a shelf.

It's gorgeous and classy as all get-out. Congrats!

(I also have unpleasant experiences with Ambien. Have you tried Lunesta? I usually just end up taking over-the-counter melatonin, valerian root and PM ibuprofen or acetaminophen to help with sleep.)

Last week I ordered a Kala Cedar Baritone in my sleep.
CQ3D1DVl.jpg

I thought I was trying to reduce the herd rather than increase it, but my subconscious disagrees. I honestly don't remember ordering this - I remember looking at the Kala clearance site somebody had linked here.

I'm blaming the Ambian - I had run out of my current medications and fell back on my previous Ambian prescription. I'm torn between scared and laughing on this one, but tossing the rest of the bottle so there isn't a next incident with actual consequences.

Anyway, the actual arrival wasn't a surprise - I had seen the order confirmation in my email, and I probably could have cancelled it since it took a few days to ship. However, this is a uke that was on my short list a year ago (it lost out to the Bonanza Homestead) and which I've still been tempted at for full price. Not worth fighting at the clearance price.

The first things I noticed upon opening it were:
  • GLOSSY!
  • Interesting slips of paper - a warning that it probably wasn't in tune (duh) and QC checklist that sounded more like Sweetwater than from factory. No candy. I still have Haribos.
    i3Qkm7ml.jpg
  • OMG IT'S GLOSSY!

Overall, the initial impressions are very good. It's even prettier in person than I'd thought from the pictures I'd seen. The wood is nice, the embellishments are clean and very well balanced. This is my first really glossy instrument, and that makes a very definite first impression. It's also my first slot-head. Love the look. Not sure I have an opinion one way or another as far as actual use.

The checklist was the big surprise. I expected this to be like the Kala's I'd gotten from big-box music shops: drop shipped and needing some work before they were really ready to play. All this one needed was tuning. The action at the first and 12th frets matched the promised specs, and according to both my normal target numbers and my fretting fingers that was in a good spot.

Sound-wise I like it quite a lot. It's very different from the walnut Bonanza, so I'm not at all stuck with two similar sounding instruments. I aim to take time with both of them tomorrow once the rain chases me inside [edit: It's now tomorrow - the network crashed on last night's post and I'm just now able to recover it now that the rain has chased me inside]

I have a fancy pickup (Double U0 with chorus, reverb, etc. from a previous Insomnia purchase, though that one without meds and with full consciousness) that was too deep for the Bonanza, so it might end up in this one.

The pickup's kind of ugly though, so this uke may be too pretty for it. It'll probably get a strap button, but may otherwise remain pristine. I will take off the paper protecting the strings [edit: ok, long since done] and likely change the strings, but since I hadn't planned this I didn't get replacement strings prepared.

eYw2j0Jl.jpg
lmao I have to admit, I ordered some seriously messed up things on ambien. Thats a whole other thread LOL

lmao I have to admit, I ordered some seriously messed up things on ambien. Thats a whole other thread LOL
I thought Ambian was a new company! The drug ambien is crazy stuff man; a friend of mine with chronic illness would sleep walk and sleep eat on it.

I thought Ambian was a new company! The drug ambien is crazy stuff man; a friend of mine with chronic illness would sleep walk and sleep eat on it.
I was in the hospital for several weeks a year ago getting my lower left leg amputated and my normal insomnia bloomed into full-blown inability to sleep.

They gave me Ambien and jeez louise--it gave me epic, incredibly vivid nightmares and I even woke up in the middle of trying to get out of my hospital bed more than once, which would have been disastrous.

I had Lunesta* during a different hospital stay and had no ill effects; just good sleep.

*I am not a representative or paid spokesperson for Lunesta or its parent pharmaceutical company. 😃

I'm interested in hearing your thoughts on how this one and the Bonanza homestead compare as you get more familiar with this one.

Years ago I took Ambien briefly. One night, the CFO woke up in the middle of the night and realized I wasn’t there with her. She found me sitting behind the wheel of my car. Once she checked that the keys weren’t in the ignition, she called 911 because she didn’t know what to do. While she was talking to them I got out of the car and went straight back to bed. She ended up staying up the rest of the night to make sure I was ok. When she told me what happened I was pretty shocked. I was also shocked that my story wasn’t all that unusual.

My day job is in medical education, and I've been working this week on editing a video webinar on insomnia. My short version for now: friends don't let friends do melatonin (an important supplement in the right context, but does ZERO for sleep, and can keep you awake forever) or Ambien. As noted above, there are better prescribed alternatives for sleep with next to no side effects.

My own experience with it is in the "horrifying waking nightmares" category, but yeah, stories of sleep driving and other complex activities are incredibly common.

Buying a baritone ukulele is one of the more benign examples I've encountered....but we might should start a separate insomnia thread in the General forum rather than keep this thread going down this particular road. :)

Glad your Ambien experience turned out to have a positive outcome.

(I've never had a problem with it.)

Top Bottom