Season 450: Reprising Randy's Alphabet Week

S is for Solid Gone by Maybelle Carter and Bob Yates.

My brother Bob re-wrote this Carter Family song, partially to Canadianize it and partly for fun.
The city of Hamilton, Ontario is called "The Hammer" by many of its residents. There is a main RR line that runs from Hamilton to Montreal and that train is the "Hammer & Nail".
Jim & Bob in Hamilton.jpg
Jim & Bob Yates - Many of our conversations involve musical instruments. I'm playing the 1958 Gibson J-50 that Bob and I bought in the early sixties. Neither of us could afford the $125 it cost, so we split the cost. I sold my half to Bob in 1969 when I was broke.

Last edited:
thankfully i was still hooked on here as Jim put up his last 4 gems.
check out the one with Maggie especially. just beautiful stuff.
the playlist and comments are current now to our 198 songs thus far.
folks, i know you're all busy w/ playing, work, life
but amidst that time, please, i'd encourage you all to try and find some few minutes
each day that remains to listen to others' performances
and perhaps offer words of encouragement also.
a few words often go a long way, huh.
love to you all.
see you tomorrow. xo

Last edited:
John Prine song about the tell tale signs that let you know that a relationship is coming to an end.

That last time Randy did this, it was like a demolition derby and the Boston Marathon rolled into one week. I remember Rex, Ralf, <TCK>, Trent, (and others?) racing around that 26 song course and starting to lap around the others doing number songs.

I probably didn't get past the first letter!

Geeze, BEV, Alan, Big Daddy, Pa, Wim, so many others....what a monster!

Good Luck Everybody! (Especially Jon!)
i must confess i cheated ever so slightly! at the start of the week i figured a song a day would get me to G, but obviously the challenge is hugely addictive and i had the end of the alphabet almost in sight at the end of the week, but i didn't see how i could get five songs done in the last moments, to get me through V W X Y and Z, so i did one song called "VW" and another called "X Y and Zee"! i got to Z, but in 23 songs, instead of 26!

in contrast to the speed i went at for randy's week, here i am going at a snail's pace, arriving late to the party, with a homemade song for this season - a is for autumn...

just wanna say jon, it's so lovely to revisit this theme, and celebrate randy this week, he was such a lovely guy, i often think of him and he's hugely missed by so many of us here

in contrast to the speed i went at for randy's week, here i am going at a snail's pace, arriving late to the party, with a homemade song for this season - a is for autumn...

just wanna say jon, it's so lovely to revisit this theme, and celebrate randy this week, he was such a lovely guy, i often think of him and he's hugely missed by so many of us here

Definitely a slow start when your first entry is the 200th song posted for the week :) Randy is surely missed and it's great to have a reason to remember him ~

Like during Randy's week, I'm able to submit only one song. A is for Aleksandra (1979), a waltz by Sergey Nikitin. Ukulele arrangement by Viktor Kozlovsky.

M is for My Foolish Heart. Thanks to Ukantor (John Colter) and IIRC ChillyWilly. Ukantor kindly shared his songsheets!

N is for Non, je ne regrette rien. French is tricky to sing, I think!

Bari Guilele once more reprising my favourite Rolling Stones ditty.

Top Bottom