Just bought this

Timbuck

Reaction score
Jointers are very useful tools, for sure. I have a 1953-ish 6" short bed Delta Rockwell jointer that gets plenty of use.

Thicknesser
:)

See, that's not a good word for us Americans because you've introduced a third syllable. Not to mention the dilemma of whether you need one 's' or two to spell it. ;) It is a pretty good descriptive term for what it does, though.

I sort of concur that the jointer is called what it is (in the US) because it does the work of a jointer plane. On the other hand, when using hand planes to flatten the face of a board, I don't use a jointer plane. I usually use No. 5 and 6 planes for that.

In NZ, we use planer (most common) and jointer (less common) but also call them buzzers.

Miguel

How does that guard work? Do you just set it to the width of the piece before the cut? I'm more used to seeing the spring loaded guard style that pivots as you push the workpiece through. But admittedly I don't have a lot of experience with jointers (I square up blanks on the table saw or in a router planing jig).

How does that guard work? Do you just set it to the width of the piece before the cut? I'm more used to seeing the spring loaded guard style that pivots as you push the workpiece through. But admittedly I don't have a lot of experience with jointers (I square up blanks on the table saw or in a router planing jig).
It works both ways you can set the width also it lifts up and down.

Got one for rough stock prep. Noisy beggars but good for initial prep.

I agree about the noise, I bought one before I knew about drum sanders. It's that noisy, I'm afraid of using it. Maybe I should have less respect for my neighbours! But thanks for reminding me to put it on Ebay.

Top Bottom