Thread: Low G on an Enya Nova? Seeking String Advice

Default Low G on an Enya Nova? Seeking String Advice

Hi all,

I just ordered one of the new red Enya Novas and want to string it to Low G. This will be my first time trying a low G tuning.

Can anyone recommend a good, unwound low g string set that will pair with the plastic fretboard and where to buy it online?

I want to make sure there are no metal components so that it won't harm the instrument.

In poking around I see the Oasis Warm mentioned a fair bit. Any others I should consider?

Thanks!
    Kevin

I am using a Fremont Blackline fluorocarbon unwound low G on my Enya Nova. I had to carefully slide the string into the bridge slot, but it fits both the bridge and the nut without modifying anything. I bought the strings at The Ukulele Site store in Honolulu. They sell by mail order as well.

Quote Originally Posted by de24 View Post
    Hi all,

I just ordered one of the new red Enya Novas and want to string it to Low G. This will be my first time trying a low G tuning.

Can anyone recommend a good, unwound low g string set that will pair with the plastic fretboard and where to buy it online?

I want to make sure there are no metal components so that it won't harm the instrument.

In poking around I see the Oasis Warm mentioned a fair bit. Any others I should consider?

Thanks!
    Kevin
    Enya is willing to string their instruments up with Low G. You won't be able to pick the one you like, but they might know which string compensates their Nova best. Enya's Customer Care details are on their website, so why don't you get in touch with them?

Thanks Ms Bean. I do have an email out to Enya to ask them about this so we’ll see what they say.

Good suggestion about the Fremont Blacklines. Did you just replace the G string and leave the other stock strings? Or did you replace all of them?

Thanks Ms Bean. I do have an email out to Enya to ask them about this so we’ll see what they say.

Good suggestion about the Fremont Blacklines. Did you just replace the G string and leave the other stock strings? Or did you replace all of them?

I replaced all 4 strings. The stock strings sounded kind of weak to me.

Buying single strings is often more expensive than a whole set
    Also matching can be difficult and if it's a poor match then the experience both in terms of sound and tension feeling will be horrid. Get a whole set so you know it will all work together.

Thanks for the tip - I'll buy the whole set.

I heard back from Enya and they offered to set it up with low g strings (Aquila Reds) prior to shipping.

As a side note, because I asked them, they said the tenor sized Enya Nova is set to be released in late November.

Thanks for the tip - I'll buy the whole set.

I heard back from Enya and they offered to set it up with low g strings (Aquila Reds) prior to shipping.

As a side note, because I asked them, they said the tenor sized Enya Nova is set to be released in late November.
    Curious that they want to install Aquila Reds when the Enya website says: "NOT compatible with wound strings or strings containing metallic compounds". https://www.enya-music.com/collectio...u-carbon-black
    The Aquila website clearly says that their red strings contain metallic compounds.

I'm probably a bit late but if you can deal with lower tension strings you can rearrange your existing Enya strings or use the spare set so that your thickest gauge is the low G (C string by default) and then go down the line... E string by default becomes your new C, high g string by default becomes your new E and A is A. I've done this with success with Enya and Martin Fluorocarbons.

Thread Information