NUD - Antica Ukuleleria Concert LIbero - Custom

WebParrot (s2)

Wisconsin, U.S.A.
UU VIP
Reaction score
With a comparison of a Concert Libero to KoAloha 25th Anniversary

The journey to owning an Antica Ukuleleria Libero has been over a year. I first contacted Marco in August 2019, hoping to get on his 2019 build schedule. His online calendar said he was booked through for the next few months and there were no 2020 options showing. Thru a few email exchanges I learned that he was 1) getting married, 2) suspending taking orders, in anticipation of 3) changing what he offered as standard and custom orders after the first of the year. Shortly after he started taking orders again, CoVId hit Italy hard had he was unable to travel to his Lab and builds suspended. I was able to place an order and was looking at that unknown timeframe driven by the pandemic.

Marco finished my Libero in August 2020, just before taking a well earned holiday. Four days shipping got it from Italy to the US in 5 days, via UPS International shipping. I’m still trying to figure out why I was charged a $12 “brokerage fee” by UPS, along with a $65 duty. UPS won’t say and you’ll never get a specific answer from DHS!

Now the good stuff. This is a Concert sized Libero with a zero fret, spruce soundboard, maple back in sides, cherry neck and headstock, radius’d pearwood fingerboard, and bridge. The body is feather thin. Held to a light source you can see the shadow of your hand through the wood. Very very tight grain on the soundboard. Of note, the spruce comes from the same forest as was sourced by Stradivari . And on that note, the shape of the back has a double curve, reminding of the shaping of a violin! (Not completely, but very curvy !). The downside of the light body is that it is slightly neck heavy (made more noticeable when a strap is attached at the heel).

The neck is very flat and thin, with lots of first position room. Below I have added some comparative measures with a Concert KoAloha. Although the neck is narrow (35mm) but the G to A measurement is 30.1 mm at the zero fret. AND there is a lot of room at the first position. When you look at the pictures and compare the measurements, there’s 51mm of “space “ between the zero fret and the tip of the curved portion of the neck compared to the KoAloha at 38mm . Combined with the thin neck it’s really comfortable.

The body is almost 2cm shorter than the KoAloha and shown side by side, the Libero seems small. (I always considered the KoAloha to be the standard in a concert sized body and length - but that’s just me !)

And finally, and most importantly, it plays and sounds wonderful. Strung with Marco’s own strings w/ high g, it’s bright and resonant, but the sustain is noticeably shorter than both the Kanile’a and KoAloha concert bodies I also own; in my opinion, to be expected with my choice of woods. As seems to be common for me, I experience what I describe as a ‘thunk’ or thud-like tone when playing an F on the E string or C string. (yes, I’ve had my hearing checked! :) ). I’m going to let the strings AND uke settle in some more and will try new strings if that doesn’t improve.

Any string suggestions are welcome. I have two sets of Fremont Blacks, one medium, one hard. I have no experience with Fremonts and am curious for some feedback from those of you who have used them...how did they effect the sound of your uke(s)?

Comparisons.
Libero v KoAloha Concert
Width at Zero fret v Nut 35.7mm v 36.8mm
Width between String g to A 30.1mm v 27.1mm (yes the KoAloha is the narrow one)
Neck thinness 14.6mm v 17.1mm
“head room*” 51mm v 38mm
Approx Length 59cm v 61cm Use the photos to compare the amount of space from the nut to the place where the headstock comes to a point. You’ll notice that the narrow-ness of the Libero is much longer

Attachments

• Libero v KoAloha -Size .jpg
    Libero v KoAloha -Size .jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 76
  • Libero-KoAloha Profile.jpg
    Libero-KoAloha Profile.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 58
  • Libero-KoAloha Neck Profile.jpg
    Libero-KoAloha Neck Profile.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 63
  • Libero-KoAloha Neck Room.jpg
    Libero-KoAloha Neck Room.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 69
  • Libero-KoAloha Side View Lower Bout.jpg
    Libero-KoAloha Side View Lower Bout.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
If I hadn't commissioned a custom uke from a local luthier I probably would've commissioned one of these. I've always found Marco's designs to be really nice and original, even for the plainer models. Congrats!

Also, those UPTs on the KoAloha look excellent. :)

Wow. Both are beautiful instruments.

Beautiful instruments! The headstock shape and the neck profile on the Libero are both very appealing.

Gorgeous instrument! And very interesting what you write about the sustain. Same with my Libero soprano, and I'm loving it. Sustain isn't everything.

It does have a pretty distinctive voice and I kinda miss it whenever I don't have it with me. (More than most of my other ukes. :eek: )

Just out of curiosity: Have you switched the tuners of the Koaloha or are these standard (by request). The weird custom tuners (=ears) were the main reason I didn't order an anniversary soprano.

If I hadn't commissioned a custom uke from a local luthier I probably would've commissioned one of these. I've always found Marco's designs to be really nice and original, even for the plainer models. Congrats!

Also, those UPTs on the KoAloha look excellent. :)

Thanks. I put UPT's on my soprano Pikake KoAloha initially and liked them so much I added them to the Concert.

Gorgeous instrument! And very interesting what you write about the sustain. Same with my Libero soprano, and I'm loving it. Sustain isn't everything.

It does have a pretty distinctive voice and I kinda miss it whenever I don't have it with me. (More than most of my other ukes. :eek: )

Just out of curiosity: Have you switched the tuners of the Koaloha or are these standard (by request). The weird custom tuners (=ears) were the main reason I didn't order an anniversary soprano.

Curiosity resolved! I put them on myself. As I mentioned in an earlier reply, the soprano went first, and it became apparent the distinctive headstock looked way better (the 25th editions came with 'wings' - good tuners, but just not on that KoAloha!)

FWIW, they weren't easy to install. Unlike other ukes, the holes were larger -didn't need reaming. Instead... too large and I had to create thin wood ring shims so that the UPT centered in the hole. Otherwise the anti-rotate pin (on the UPT's) had nothing to grip, allowing the tuners to rotate.

Last edited:
I really like the looks of your new baby!

That's beautiful! I ordered a Sacco in July, and he said I was on his build schedule for January. I hope it's no later than that. I don't like hearing about the extra delivery charges. I've never seen that before.

Regarding the charges. Customs/Duty was "sort of" expected, but not the brokerage fee part. I started questioning the brokerage fee (once I determined it was levied/assessed by UPS), but after exchanges with UPS, decided to pursue the customs/duty charge, and on what basis it was calculated. After two lengthy "chat" sessions with UPS it was clear that their system wasn't geared toward answers. The chat advised calling ( Ha ! ) which I did... on "hold" for 23 minutes only to get bumped to a "call back" which never occurred. I called the local UPS office which was useless as they don't deal directly with those assessments. Similarly they provided no guidance as to-whom or from-where to get answers. A call to Homeland Security was futile as well. (Called the local airport to get a supervisor and possibly a referral) Their reply was that there is an ever-changing basis on which trade calculations are being made. (! n/s !) When I suggested that since this was a private sale, they did the equivalent "shoulder shrug" and said I'd have to deal directly with UPS brokerage which selected the value as part of the charge. So, I've created a written inquiry (as of last Friday) and will mail it when I can find an appropriate address.

FWIW, if the calculation was based on the value of the shipment, your cost will likely be much lower. I ordered two ukes from Marco... the other was a UFOS for my grandson. Your Sacco would be about a quarter to a third of what I spent.

Last edited:
Top Bottom