2 ukes: Risa uke solid(stick), Outdoor Ukulele tenor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jer

Reaction score
**Update: Thread closed. Thanks.

***Update: Risa uke is still available at the time I'm typing this. Outdoor Ukulele tenor is sold*****

I was having 2nd thoughts about the Risa I previously posted so wanted to make sure since I didn't have a committed buyer and only inquiries so far. Apologies for that, but it's back now. I'm also adding another. Please read on.

Lower 48 USA states only. Now accepting Paypal payments too.

In previous sales here I have accepted USPS money order only as payment. Due to the virus, I realize many don't want to have to go into the building to purchase one of those. So I have opened up a Paypal account to receive funds now.
Please note it does not show as "verified" as I'm typing this. I might just have them cut me a check so I don't have to provide additional financial info to them. That said, I've had several successful transactions here and have been a member for around 5 years.

First uke:
Risa Uke solid (stick) soprano.

Specs here. (That's the closest thing Risa has to a website. The owners of Risa own that site, as far as I know.)

Purchased from MIM roughly 6 weeks ago I'd say. It has been through the Risa quality control as well as MIM's quality control and setup. Has been very well taken care of and never left the house. So it is in like new condition. Strung with D'Addario carbon strings.
I've owned all three versions/sizes of this uke and think they're really cool instruments. That said, I always get reminded I'm more of an acoustic uke kind of guy. It does have enough volume unplugged to be heard in a quiet setting if you have decent ears. You need to plug it in to get some real volume though. You can get a ton of variety going through various amps, effects, etc. No amp or cords included. This is for the uke and bag only.

Second uke:
Outdoor Ukulele tenor ukulele in green. No case. ***SOLD****

Risa is still available at the time I'm typing this.

Feel free to PM if you're interested in either of these or both. I'm not connected to the internet 24/7 but will reply as soon as I can.
PLEASE NOTE: Private messages are getting cut off for some people. If you definitely want this instrument please send a private message with "want" in the title and your e-mail address in the subject. I will reply back with my personal e-mail and I can also send a message from my personal e-mail to yours.
Thanks for checking out my listing! :)

Last edited:
Hi,
I’ll buy the Outdoor tenor if it’s still available.
Thanks, Mike

Last edited:
Hi,
I’ll buy the Outdoor tenor if it’s still available.
Thanks, Mike
Hi Mike. I sent a PM reply back to you. You can let me know if it didn't work. Your private message to me got cut off, which seems to be happening some here. Thanks.

Last edited:
Just replied to your personal email provided. We should be good to go now.
Thanks, Mike

Outdoor tenor is now sold. Thanks!

The Risa is still available as I'm typing this.

Last edited:
Risa uke priced at $165 shipped via USPS . Still only selling to lower 48 USA.

PLEASE NOTE: Private messages are getting cut off for some people. If you definitely want this instrument please send a private message with "want" in the title and your e-mail address in the subject. I will reply back with my personal e-mail address and I can also send a message from my personal e-mail to yours at the same time.

So far no committed buyer, just inquiry. To try to save myself some typing I will do a little FAQ.

What does it sound like?

I think Risa (or MIM? maybe both) say it has about 30% the volume of an acoustic uke when it is unplugged. I think it's loud enough to hear in a quiet room, so good for practice in that setting. I'm not sure how to describe the tone with words. It sounds like an uke still but responds different due to the rock solid maple body. Plus the neck and body are one piece.
As far as what it sounds like plugged in, I think that's pretty impossible to answer for me. It really depends on what you plug it into and how you adjust various tone knobs on your amp, what effects you use, etc. etc. Yes, it will handle overdrive
and distortion and sound very electric guitar like if you want it to. Yes, it can also sound like more of a plugged in acoustic uke type sound. Really the sky is the limit depending on what you play through and how it is adjusted. I'm not sure what else to say there, but hopefully that is helpful enough. Youtube has a lot of clips of these.

Does it include a strap? Yes. The strap cleverly attaches to either the carrying bag or the uke (there are two pieces that can stay attached to the uke at all times). The strap just unclips and clips onto either. Clever design.

Will I you do a trade? No, I'm not interested in trades. I have no particular other uke on my radar right now and don't want to make a quick decision about what is next for me to try. It might not even be an uke.

What are the tuning machines? I'm not sure what brand they are but they are quality "planetary" geared tuners. That's how I usually see this type referred to. Yes, they look like friction pegs but they are actually geared. I think 4:1 ratio. Not sure. They turn smoothly. It is the same kind of tuner used on some banjos.

If I pay you an extra $100 will you autograph it?
Yes, absolutely!

That last one is a joke...I'm no one famous...

If anyone has any other questions, feel free to post them here and I'll try my best to answer. I think I hit the most common in the post.

Last edited:
I'd like to buy the Risa tenor stick, if you still have it. Please PM me. Thanks!

Jerry

Oops! I misread the post. I thought the Risa stick was a tenor. Sorry

Jerry: No worries. Yeah, it is a soprano. According to what I just checked and read it has a slightly over 14" scale. So a little more room than your typical soprano.
I take it you're not interested in the soprano version.

So this is still available folks.

I've been looking for one of these Risa Solids, and want something where the fret distances are similar to my on-the-small-side-for-a-concert everyday player.

All I can find online (as you have above) is scale length (presumed to be "saddle-to-nut"), but that measurement doesn't seem particularly relevant to me. Can you post these? cm preferred over inches if possible. I suppose that zero fret is the nut in this design, eh?
1. overall nut width
2. g-to-c string distance at 1st fret
3. distance from nut to 3rd fret
4. distance from nut to 12th fret

Given those, I think it will be simpler for me to see if what we have here will have the room I need without being crazily big (I have fat and short breakfast sausage fingers, and a tenor is usually unplayable for me).

Thanks!

Jeff

I suspect this "soprano" is a pretty good match to my concert length Tangi. I am not concerned with having more than 12 frets. :)

Last edited:
I've been looking for one of these Risa Solids, and want something where the fret distances are similar to my on-the-small-side-for-a-concert everyday player.

All I can find online (as you have above) is scale length (presumed to be "saddle-to-nut"), but that measurement doesn't seem particularly relevant to me. Can you post these? cm preferred over inches if possible. I suppose that zero fret is the nut in this design, eh?
1. overall nut width
2. g-to-c string distance at 1st fret
3. distance from nut to 3rd fret
4. distance from nut to 12th fret

Given those, I think it will be simpler for me to see if what we have here will have the room I need without being crazily big (I have fat and short breakfast sausage fingers, and a tenor is usually unplayable for me).

Thanks!

Jeff

I suspect this "soprano" is a pretty good match to my concert length Tangi. I am not concerned with having more than 12 frets. :)

Hi Jeff.
Actually, I have already reinspected, wiped down, and packaged up this uke so it will be ready to ship to whoever buys it. Even if I unpack it, I don't have a really accurate way to take these measurements on something like string to string spacing. I don't have a caliper nor do I have anything at all to measure centimetres with. Anything I could measure would be in inches and only as good as my eyes could see...which honestly I don't trust. It'd just be close.

That said, the site that I believe to be owned by the guys who own Risa has some specs:
https://www.ukulele.de/soprano/66/risa-uke-solid-soprano
Just scroll down. I had to switch the site to "English" on a drop down menu on the top right. It's in German normally I think. Maybe that link will automatically put it in English; I'm not sure.

Based on those specs, the zero fret, which is indeed the nut, is 1.38 in. or 35mm or 3.5cm. I plugged the given numbers into a conversion tool at the duckduckgo search engine to arrive at the cm measurement.

Also, I took the scale length of the instrument and plugged it into the fret position calculator at Stewmac.com
That indicated the nut/zero fret to 3rd fret length of this scale instrument would be: 57.834 mm or about 2.276 in. or 5.7834cm

Scale length (zero fret/nut to 12th fret) is listed at: 363.5mm or about 14.2" . That converts to 36.35cm.
I think 13" is the shortest soprano length I've seen. 15" is typical concert. So this falls somewhere in between.

That is assuming I plugged in all these numbers correctly. Please do double check me on that to make sure.

I think that's about the best I can do. I hope it helps some. Thanks for your inquiry.
Maybe some kind person who owns one of these and has very accurate measuring tools will see this and confirm too.

Last edited:
Appreciate the effort. Will do some computation and PM if it seems like we should talk transaction. Cheers.

Appreciate the effort. Will do some computation and PM if it seems like we should talk transaction. Cheers.
You're welcome. I know I didn't answer everything perfectly, but at least you have more to go on. Got it. Fair enough. :)

For anyone else watching, it is still available at the time I'm typing this. No committed buyer, just inquiries still.

That was super helpful, never tried that tool before, very neat.

Best of luck with the sale. Seems like a steal of a deal for someone looking for a soprano!

That was super helpful, never tried that tool before, very neat.

Best of luck with the sale. Seems like a steal of a deal for someone looking for a soprano!
Good deal. I'm glad you found it useful.

Thank you. Yes, it is quite the deal. I'm surprised it hasn't had a taker yet.

At this point, I think I'm just going to keep it. The more I think about it and watch youtube demos and such of people with more gear to do more with it, the more I see this little guy is quite the little music making tool. Plus, the price I had was more than fair anyways and still going to be a loss. Heck I might even learn to love this thing. I think MIM still has a couple of sopranos right now for anyone looking still.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom