Great discovery for making your own custom cut cling vinil clear pickguards.

gerardo1000

Reaction score
Look at the two pictures attached. Bought on Amazon. 6 sheets 9 x 12 inches. it is EXACTLY the same material, and the same thickness, and the same transparency, of the ones sold by CLING-ON or by Taylor. and it perfectly sticks to any gloss finish (and of course, it is removable).
The only difference? the whole 6 sheets pack costs less than one Taylor pick guard and less than a Cling On pickguard, and you can make at least 18 pickguard with it ! :D

1.jpg
2.jpg

Last edited:
Awesome. I'm going to try to remember this if needed. I'm all for doing it yourself when possible. Thanks for sharing.

A couple of years ago I made 2 guitar pickguards from a screen protector intended for ipad/andriod tablets.
With care you could probably have enough for 3 ukes. More cost effective when you don't need 18.:)

Vintage

Look at the two pictures attached. Bought on Amazon. 6 sheets 9 x 12 inches. it is EXACTLY the same material, and the same thickness, and the same transparency, of the ones sold by CLING-ON or by Taylor. and it perfectly sticks to any gloss finish (and of course, it is removable).
The only difference? the whole 6 sheets pack costs less than one Taylor pick guard and less than a Cling On pickguard, and you can make at least 18 pickguard with it ! :D

View attachment 129703
View attachment 129704
I would be careful about putting vinyl in contact with an instrument that is finished with nitrocellulose. I have read that the vinyl off-gases can melt nitrocellulose.

Yes, don't put vinyl on nitrocellulose (lacquer ) finishes .
Ouch !

I wish I had known about that before i scratched up 2 ukuleles resting my pinkie on them!

View attachment 129703
View attachment 129704
Thanks! Do you have a link?

I've been using material like that for a few years - shields for the MacBook and cell phones. It's almost invisible when it's in place.

Something like this - https://smile.amazon.com/Supershiel...ords=macbook+pro+shield&qid=1639746699&sr=8-3

Top Bottom