Intonation issues with Aquila 30U GDAE strings

cunparis

Reaction score
Hi,

I haven't played my soprano in a long time so I put on
Aquila 30U GDAE strings and have been playing it daily. I really love the fifths tuning because violin is my main instrument. However I have noticed that the intonation is off quite a bit. I tuned it so that the open strings are perfectly in tune. Here is an example:

The worst is the A string:

Note = +/- cents
A = 0
B = +4
C = +5
C# = +8
D = +8
E = +10

The open D is near 0 but the other ones on this string are on average +5 cents.

The notes on the G string are on average +2 or +3 cents.

And the E string is on average +3.

To my (bad) ears, GD & E are acceptable. But the A string being +8 cents sounds off.

Is this normal? I know I'm pushing the limits with the fifths tuning on a soprano uke. My strings are not new, I've had them on this uke and changed them with the normal Aquila strings several times now. I don't know if it's a problem with the strings or the uke. My uke is a Flea soprano.

I really enjoy playing GDAE with nylon strings at a low budget.

I think the soprano just suffers the most from string changes and especially if has fat frets and a high setup. It's short scale length means that the string length changes a lot from ideal when fretting.

What errors do you get if you play the natural harmonics at the 12th?

I think the soprano just suffers the most from string changes and especially if has fat frets and a high setup. It's short scale length means that the string length changes a lot from ideal when fretting.

What errors do you get if you play the natural harmonics at the 12th?

At 12th fet:

E string: near 0 but sustain isn't long enough to get a good reading
A string: +10
D string: 0
G string: 0

The intonation on the 5th fret seemed to be better today, I don't know why. It was much more humid today after raining all day. I don't know if that changes it. On my tuner, -15 to +15 still lights up green and the notes were pretty much all green so I think the intonation is not that bad.

I thought the flea ukes had good intonation because the fretboard is plastic and molded accurately, but I don't know. If I could get better sound buying a better soprano I would consider it.

I always thought that for fifth tuning you need different saddle compensation because the range of string thickness is much larger. Have you thought about getting a different saddle for the fifth set of strings?

I always thought that for fifth tuning you need different saddle compensation because the range of string thickness is much larger. Have you thought about getting a different saddle for the fifth set of strings?

Just curious, how would this saddle look like?

Eugenio

Here is a photo of the nut & action at the nut and at the end of the fetboard.

I don't have a way to accurately measure the action.

PXL_20201004_192023363 (Large).jpg

PXL_20201004_192032670 (Large).jpg

I have those strings on my soprano and also have some intonation issues (nor do I like the tone, as I recently said in a different fifths tuning thread.For me, it’s my D string and I believe it’s because it is thicker than the fluorocarbon C string that it replaced and is not fully in the nut slot. it’s almost +30 at the 12th. I didn’t want to widen the slot (in case I didn’t like it) but I believe I will have to, as I play up the neck a great deal of the time.My A and E are ok, as is the G. I didn’t use the Aquila G from the set though. I’m sure that would also have sat high in the nut slot too, but I used the low G Fremont soloist (wound string, so it’s thinner than the nylon G).
I’m gonna experiment with fluorocarbon for the D,A and E,(happy with the G). I think the nylon Aquila set is dead sounding up the neck. I think fluorocarbon may have better tone and clarity, and since they are thinner than nylon, they will sit deeper in the slots hopefully correcting intonation issue and lower action. I just gotta figure out what gauges. Suggested strings were given in that other thread but it was for nylon.I was hoping someone had already worked it out for fluorocarbon.

Top Bottom