Bandsaw blade sharpening device.

Timbuck

Reaction score
As I said in another thread JJohansen had this great idea of converting a Chain saw sharpening grinder into one for bandsaw blades..So I decided to get one and have a go at it :)
It arrived this morning so I took it out of the box and set it up on the workbench....I am now studying it and trying to work out what needs to be done.... the first thing I noticed was it is angled the wrong way for grinding into the blade gullet. But you can get round this by turning the blade inside out.
70CBC387-A558-4056-9AC4-7BA505A5B33F by Ken Timms, on Flickr

Last edited:
The next problem I noticed was that the indexing mechanism was facing in the wrong direction And the pawl would not push against the inner face of the blade teeth ...so I have removed the red knob cam thingie (which is not needed) and I have reversed the mechanism like this....I will try and keep the forum updated on the progress of this project as I go along.......my next idea is to is to try and make the indexing work automatically as the grinding wheel is operated :cheers:
EEDB1675-4AA6-491D-9DB7-9D54F934CDD4 by Ken Timms, on Flickr

Last edited:
Ken- I have one of those cheap, or should I say economy, chain sharpeners. Does a really great job on my saw chains. Cost less than the price of a new chain for my larger saw. I have often wondered if it could be converted for bandsaw sharpening. I have not found wheels that will fit these machines that can do carbide. I have a pile of expensive carbide blades that are not sharp enough to use anymore.

Ken- I have one of those cheap, or should I say economy, chain sharpeners. Does a really great job on my saw chains. Cost less than the price of a new chain for my larger saw. I have often wondered if it could be converted for bandsaw sharpening. I have not found wheels that will fit these machines that can do carbide. I have a pile of expensive carbide blades that are not sharp enough to use anymore.

Hey Bob, Lucas Mill sells a diamond wheel that works perfectly on carbide. I got mine from Bailey

Josh,
Thanks. Time to order some chain from Bailey's anyway. If I can get the sharpener to work on my Lenox blades, I'll probably pick up a second one. Hope you're doing great! BTW, that Driftmaster has saved me a lot of wood. Had Jay over few days ago to check it out. Of course he'll build some tricked out device that will work way better! Take care.Stay safe! -Bob

Top Bottom