Barron River 8 String Road Test

hollisdwyer

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
This is a first recording of my new Barron River 8 string tenor(Black LImba body and Lutz Spruce top, passive K&K Aloha pickup) crafted by Allen McFarlan (Barron River Ukuleles) . No EFX, just patched through one of my LR Baggs pre-amps to amplify the passive signal and then via an iRig Pro to my iPhone. The Uke is tuned down to an open F tuning (F,Bb,D,F - or should this be called an open Bb tuning?) which gives it a bit of sympathetic resonance.

Last edited:
Sounds great, meditative! It reminded me of a sitar, probably because of the song choice.
Congratulations on your new tenor!

Sounds great, meditative! It reminded me of a sitar, probably because of the song choice.
Congratulations on your new tenor!

Thanks! It was just an Ad Lib. I wanted to see what playing up and down the fretboard and picking different strings in each pair sounded like. I am quite please with the build and the sound.

I spent a few years in India hence being influenced by that sound.

Sounds great Hollis. Love the headstock design.

Sounds great Hollis. Love the headstock design.

The headstock Design was the result of me asking Allen McFarlen (Barron River Ukes) to use Rubner mandolin tuners on a solid headstock instead of the Gotoh stealth tuners on a slotted headstock which he usually does.

Top Bottom