SOTU 451 "Stop! Desist! Just ...Don't!

You'll Never Leave Harlan Alive, Darrell Scott, 1997
I heard this song on a Patty Loveless album called Mountain Soul. Please give it a listen. It's one of my favorites.

Season of the Ukulele 451 asks for songs of misery. Bob J. King ("the Notorious BJK"?) covered "Hammer Down" by Magnolia Electric Company earlier this week, and encouraged all of us to check out the work of Jason Molina. Another great artist gone too soon. Songs by troubled artists often feel too far afield to me, but the combination of the season and weariness with the challenges of the world around us perhaps makes them a little more approachable. A song called "What Comes After the Blues?" seems pretty much perfect for this season. Thanks so much to Lil for the idea and hosting. As for this cover, it's super rough, but many thanks to Bob for the artist introduction and his many great performances this season and in others... FWIW, I got a felt hat as I threatened in an earlier season, and I like to think that counts for something.

And Good Morning (& etc.) from deepest France, where the sun is STILL not shining! A bit late this morning ... I overslept; but what is there to get up for? Many thanks to Jon, Liz and BJ for their "overnight" contributions. And thank you to everyone ... your misery and negativity knows no bounds; long may it continue! If I am not already depressed enough, there is a whole day ahead to bring forth more gloom and doom ...

This seasonal week has never made me feel more like singing the blues !

Ahoy good people and thanks for a great week of listening.
Here is my 1st submission of the week.

Ahoy again
While adding subtitles to Rangur madur (there should be an 'eth' in place of the 'd' in 'madur') I thought of another song that fits the week. So I recorded and subtitled another song

Last edited:
Low-hanging fruit? Unless I've missed it, I'm first with this. (Seems to be my go-to entry.)

Low-hanging fruit? Unless I've missed it, I'm first with this. (Seems to be my go-to entry.)

It is what it is , Rough and Ready ......but checkout the real band...Gangstagrass....excellent fusion band.

A genteel tune about the disappointments and vagaries of love from the great Polly Jean Harvey. " The whores hustle and the hustlers whore". Plugged in here.

Thanks to Steve's Wedding Bells for reminding me of this song. I've always liked the song since the early seventies, but never tried singing it. My creaky old voice doesn't really do it justice, but here we go, Gilbert O'Sullivan's Alone Again . . . Naturally.

While I was searching Youtube for this, I came across a version by Nina Simone. Now I love Nina and once hitch-hiked 118 km from Dundas, Ontario to Buffalo NY to see her. A fantastic show.
I hated her version of O'Sullivan's song. She changed the words to make it autobiographical to her life, about her father whom she hated. This is a song that I could never bring myself to sing.

I remember this afternoon
When my sister came into the room
She refused to say how my father was
But I knew he'd be dying soon.
And I was oh so glad, and it was oh so sad
That I realized that I despised this man I once called father. . .
and it just gets worse; a truly miserable song.

And Good Morning & etc from another grey day in deepest France! Thanks so much to Rick, CeeJay, John and Jim, whose wonderfully wretched contributions came in "overnight." Well, it's the weekend ... ample time to pour out all the misery and negativity that lurks within/beneath! Come along ... I know you are feeling as desperate as I am; I need to feel your pain!

My entry this week, fashionably late :)

No video, sorry, palying around with some multitracking which makes video most cumbersome.

Howdy gang and thanks Lil for hosting and what a great theme, i love bummer rock and melancholy music, it is right up my street. As soon as i saw the theme last week I got to work on composing my own song, I am nowhere as good as the masters of song writing on here, but I enjoy it and believe the more you do the easier it hopefully becomes.

Like everyone I am having a tough year with losing my job in July, I feel very down, so this song I wrote helped exercise some demons (temporarily)

I must warn you there is a couple of swears in the song but all in context.

Top Bottom