Yes! I'm down to just 1 ukulele on the wall hangers

clear

Reaction score
So, I noticed that all I really played was 1 particular ukulele; and since I'm short of hanger space, I packed all the ukes away except for this 1 ukulele. (Need to make room for guitars!!! hahaha, I've not improved anything according to my wife.)

Guess what?

Although I'm playing the ukulele just as much, I've not taken any of the other ukuleles out of their cases.

Do you really just play 1 ukulele?

When I had the ukes on the wall, sometimes, I'd play another one out of pity. Now, I'm carefree and happy that I can just play the one I like to play.

So... if you get into a tight squeeze on wall hangers... Don't buy more hangers :)

We have two empty hangers you can use....

Glad its working for you . . . I'm just the opposite. I have mine on wall hangers and I tend to play a little on each one. Its a habit I started on Irish Whistles . . . I'd play a tune on whistle in the key of C and then I'd try the same song on a whistle in the key of low D, and then another. l found it a good way to learn a song and it improved my ear by helping me listen for the nuances of each whistle. I've recently discovered I tend to do the same with ukes. When learning a tune, I'll play it on a tenor, then switch to a Bari, then to a concert, etc. The switching helps me clean up my notes and keeps my fingers flexible. It also helps keep the piece fresh and not get bored with it. Then there are some songs that seem to be written for a particular uke and its fun to discover which one it is . . .

Now that's some days . . . other days, I just get in a zone on one uke and look up and wonder, where did the time go? The negative part of this type of playing is that it takes longer to learn how to make each uke "sing." But that's what the next day is for . . .

So, I noticed that all I really played was 1 particular ukulele; and since I'm short of hanger space, I packed all the ukes away except for this 1 ukulele. (Need to make room for guitars!!! hahaha, I've not improved anything according to my wife.)

Guess what?

Although I'm playing the ukulele just as much, I've not taken any of the other ukuleles out of their cases.

When I had the ukes on the wall, sometimes, I'd play another one out of pity. Now, I'm carefree and happy that I can just play the one I like to play.

So... if you get into a tight squeeze on wall hangers... Don't buy more hangers :)

I suppose that this all comes down to how many Ukes are enough and then do you need to limit yourself to enough. I’ve five Ukes at the moment, one is out on lone and one should have been sold a while back but I’ve not got around to it. Of the three that remain I could get by with just any one of them and indeed seem not to rotate them but rather the unused ones are there as back ups. To make them play well I’ve invested time and effort in them but none of them are worth much (money) and they (mostly Sopranos) don’t take up much space so why let them go?

With my Ukes I tend to buy something likely to please me, try it out and then decide which of the herd should be sold off. Mostly it’s the one I recently bought that gets sold but sometimes it isn’t. If I were to limit myself then I think four is perhaps the right number: one beater, one on trial and two that I’m reluctant to part with. Perhaps that should be five ‘cause I keep meaning to have one strung in low G too.

Yep, I could get by with just one - it’s a close call of which between two of them - but I am thankful that I don’t need to. Two would be a more tolerable minimum for me: a nice enough looking and good sounding one for everyday playing and something similar that I’d be happy enough to travel with and use in places where it might get damaged (so a good sounding beater).

Last edited:
For a few years now I've been down to one linear uke and one re-entrant. Don't weep for me; the former is a custom uke and the latter is a spruce top centennial anniversary Kamaka. I'm feeling no pain. And I do have a few niche instruments: a cigar box that I keep tuned to open D minor and a tenor guitar. I plug those in and have occasional fun.

Guess what?

The only uke I have on a hangar is one I converted into a clock. If I tighten the strings, it's still playable, but it is just for display. I keep my ukes in cases to keep them clean and protected. I have two or three next to my chair for playing.

1A.jpg

The only uke I have on a hangar is one I converted into a clock. If I tighten the strings, it's still playable, but it is just for display. I keep my ukes in cases to keep them clean and protected. I have two or three next to my chair for playing.

View attachment 129803

The clock looks interesting. Reminds me of the time, when shopping for a house, I went into this house with decorative guns displayed on the wall with 2nd amendment quotes. You can tell a lot just by people's choice of decorations.

The clock looks interesting. Reminds me of the time, when shopping for a house, I went into this house with decorative guns displayed on the wall with 2nd amendment quotes. You can tell a lot just by people's choice of decorations.

I have a niece like that. She has the dead heads of animals her husband shot hanging all over the house. Creepy! And I don't men "Dead Heads." :D

I wanted to make a uke clock so I had to find the right uke and the right clock. It lifts out of the uke for battery replacement, and I can still strum it.

I'd never buy ukulele again, except when i have the 2 I have breaks one of them. I find it totally disgusting the threads about UAS. Just play guys/girls with what you have.

Lot of independent retailers, small builders, family businesses supported through people wanting to collect ukes. Disgusted is perhaps a bit strong? There's a lot to not like in the world these days but Jerry liking ukes doesn't make my top 10!

I'd never buy ukulele again, except when i have the 2 I have breaks one of them. I find it totally disgusting the threads about UAS. Just play guys/girls with what you have.

"To each his own." I thoroughly enjoy the whole ukulele experience, even though I am not a great player.

Hmmm, this thread isn't about owning just 1 ukulele; it is about playing one particular uke often.

I can be totally happy and satisfied with owning just the 1 uke that's on my wall (since, really, that's all I play); I can definitely see the view point of adherents to owning just a single uke. However, everybody is different (otherwise the world would be pretty boring), so I understand the fun in having many ukuleles around (although I only keep 1 ukulele on the wall hangers, I currently own 6 ukes).

Like Jerry, I am endlessly fascinated by the way different ukuleles sound and play. I have experienced the difference between Koa, Mahogany and other woods. How different wood tops alter the way the uke sounds. And, how the build design and construction can also affect the results.

The journey has been a lot of fun, and I thoroughly enjoy the exploration. I can't play more than 2 or 3 hours before the arthritis in my hands flares up to the point where I can no longer continue. So I enjoy buying and selling ukuleles as well as playing them. I am curious. "UAS" is a humorous term for satisfying that curiosity. Or, I may be a hoarder. One or the other.

There are lots of us that own several ukes. Some of us play more than one size. This means that we have knowledge about various instruments, materials, brands, builders, strings and musics. And most of us are quite willing to share that knowledge with others. Helping others to decide what instrument to buy or accessory or repair or whatever.

It also means that luthiers and companies, large and small, are supported to feed our "habit."

Rather than cars, guns, cameras, stamps, coins, stuffed animals or bric-a-brac we choose to collect ukuleles. Or just expand our playing experiences with different instruments whilst searching for the grail. The "ONE" we totally bond with.

It isn't for everyone. But here on the Forum people can share their experiences with one instrument or several. And I think our collective exposure and understanding is the richer for it.

My wall, they don't get played much at all, except for the Ubass. The ones I play the most are in cases with humidfiers...
wall (2).jpg

Top Bottom