sci-fi novel with uke wielding heroes

Mark ll

Reaction score
Last edited:
Rick Riordan has done many Young Adult books using mythology as the background - the most popular the Percy Jackson series (Lightning Thief) which used Greek Mythology. There are also Norse, Roman, an Egyptian series.

In one of the more recent, the Greek god Apollo is punished by Zeus, and sent to Earth as an acne-faced adolescent, who must fulfill a quest to save the Oracles - and learn humility - before he can regain his godhood.

As the Greek god of music, Apollo used a lyre. However, since none is available for an adolescent male on Earth, he uses a ukulele.

The series is fun mind-candy. And his ukulele playing improves.

-Kurt​

Thanks!

Mark, as I saw your message, I got used to it and thought what a funny book. but interest took its toll and I bought one copy to read. So what I'm going to tell you is a very entertaining book that combines modern issues of climate change, social media, celebrity status, veganism and food production with a good dose of humor, Australian culture and the relationship between humans and plants. Witty, hilarious and thought-provoking, this book asks a series of important questions to the reader, while offering a sci-fi fun journey unlike any other. This experience cannot be compared with other science fiction that I have read, so I probably recommend it to everyone who loves science fiction and ukulele!

Thanks for the book recommendation,,,,I've been looking for something a little different to read.......temporarily out at amazon...

Here's a luggage tag I keep on my Magic Fluke Case:

uke tag.jpg

Gotta take the music with you when the time comes......:cool:

Off-topic, sorry:

You know how when you read something at a glance, your brain just tries to make sense of the letters and is quite capable of making words out of letters even if they're in the wrong order?

I glanced at this subject line:
"sci-fi novel with uke wielding heroes"

And read it as:
"sci-fi novel with uke wielding horses"

Now, either way it seems a bit unusual. But, my mind went off on a tangent with uke wielding horses.

Carry on.

I write fantasy myself. My fictional Arctic natives have some cool musical instruments I want to try and build in real life at some point, including a rough harsh one-stringed bass called an ozolina. Not sure how I'll construct one but it will be fun to try.

I write fantasy myself. My fictional Arctic natives have some cool musical instruments I want to try and build in real life at some point, including a rough harsh one-stringed bass called an ozolina. Not sure how I'll construct one but it will be fun to try.
Sounds like a self-contained wash tub bass...

While I can't play one of htem worth beans, I was privileged to play in a Jug Band Jam with Canada-based musician Ken Whitely at the Old Songs Festival of Music and Dance one year. I played my Firefly in a group of about 15-20, and Ken was on the Washtub bass...

He's a wizard!

Or maybe he was playing the ozolina! Time travel happens in both science fiction and fantasy, after all...

-Kurt

Sounds like a self-contained wash tub bass...

While I can't play one of htem worth beans, I was privileged to play in a Jug Band Jam with Canada-based musician Ken Whitely at the Old Songs Festival of Music and Dance one year. I played my Firefly in a group of about 15-20, and Ken was on the Washtub bass...

He's a wizard!

Or maybe he was playing the ozolina! Time travel happens in both science fiction and fantasy, after all...

-Kurt
OMG. Just googled wash tub bass.

I thought maybe the ozolina was a bit too silly an idea, and now I find out one-stringed basses do indeed exist!

Top Bottom