Mya-Moe Ukuleles - Past and Present

Hochapeafarm

Reaction score
Years ago, I had the pleasure of going through the build process to get my Mya-Moe Traditional tenor ukulele with Gordon, Char, and Aaron. Regrettably, two years later, I ended up rehoming the ukulele as I had been bitten by the baritone bug, and I used my MM tenor to help fund my new baritone. Now I am playing tenors again, and I really miss my lovely MM instrument!

In looking at the Mya-Moe web site earlier today, it looks like there is no longer a ‘Traditional’ tenor model available, only the Classic model. Aside from no more Traditional models being available, from what I can tell on the MM web site, it does look like most of the other features I had loved about my old Mya-Moe are still available.

I know that Gordon and Char no longer own MM, and I am wondering about how MM ukuleles in production since the new owner took over may differ (or not) from when Gordon, Char, and Aaron built them. If you have any insight in this light, I’d be grateful for feedback.

Additionally, if anyone has gone through the build process with the new owner, I would love feedback on what kind of instrument you purchased and how you are liking it.

Finally, if you have/had a previous generation of a MM uke from when Gordon and Char owned Mya-Moe AND you also have/had a MM from the new owner, I would be curious if you’ve noticed any differences in the build of your instruments.

Thank you for your sharing your impressions!

Interesting, I had no idea this brand had changed hands over the years. Mya-Moe is one of those brands I would've loved to commission and own but ultimately I decided to commission a custom uke from a more local luthier. I'd be really interested in the quality of the new owner/luthier regardless.

Cary’s instruments are wonderful. Pressed for time here, have to go, but I have both Gordon/Char instruments and Cary instruments, and you have absolutely nothing to worry about.

Hi, kvehe ~ Thanks for letting me know — I really appreciate it! :)

Cary’s instruments are wonderful. Pressed for time here, have to go, but I have both Gordon/Char instruments and Cary instruments, and you have absolutely nothing to worry about.

Hochapeafarm - yes, PM function isn't working - I'll be in touch later today.

Everyone else - yes, really, Cary's instruments are terrific.

There are some subtle differences in the neck profile in my baritones built by the Aaron, Gordon & Char vs. Cary.
The neck profile of the most recent build by Cary was a bit rounder, maybe slightly thicker at the nut.
Fit, Finish and Sound are excellent on both.

There are some subtle differences in the neck profile in my baritones built by the Aaron, Gordon & Char vs. Cary.
The neck profile of the most recent build by Cary was a bit rounder, maybe slightly thicker at the nut.

Oh, no, will I have to buy a Cary baritone now? :D:D

Thanks, Doc_J, for this info re: neck profile. I am really glad that you pointed this slight difference out as I have wrist tendonitis issues; thicker necks tend to be more difficult for me to play. Even if it’s just at the nut area, it could be potentially problematic for me. Thanks, again, for sharing your observations and feedback — greatly appreciated!

Thanks, Doc_J, for this info re: neck profile. I am really glad that you pointed this slight difference out as I have wrist tendonitis issues; thicker necks tend to be more difficult for me to play. Even if it’s just at the nut area, it could be potentially problematic for me. Thanks, again, for sharing your observations and feedback — greatly appreciated!

Glad if that helped. Yes, I prefer thinner or flatter necked instruments too. It's the profile more than the thickness for me.
I'm sure that Cary could make the neck flatter or thinner, if asked.

Top Bottom