Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: radiation

Default radiation

What is your attitude to Chernobyl and radiation in general?

I want to go to after watching Chernobyl from HBO

Quote Originally Posted by kreon View Post
    I've seen several documentaries, and that's enough for me.
    Too many ukes, but I can't stop buying!
    https://www.catskillukulelegroup.com/

I'm against!
    Mahimahi MS-35W Soprano Willow
    Mahimahi MC-35W Concerto Willow
    Mahimahi MT-35W Tenore Willow
    Geso GC-85 Concert
    Geso GT-85 Tenor
    Martin HSO Soprano 2004
    Reno RU-210 Soprano
    Everplay LA8-21 soprano thinbody deadwood
    Makala MK-C Concert
    Harley Benton Banjolele BJ-15
    Martin T-15 Tiple 1956
    Just Povlsen Uke 790, 1947
    Cordoba Mini M Guitalele in A
    Cordoba Mini M Guitalele in E

I decided try to buy geiger counter for my house. Radiation is a form of energy that comes from a source and travels through a medium, including vacuum Because I live in place which has some radiation level. I used this one https://ecotestgroup.com/press/blog/...-for-home-use/ and want to buy compact dosimeter for household.
    Last edited by kreon; 10-05-2020 at 07:19 PM.

Great show. I watched it about 4 or 5 times. Brave people, sad situation. So many heroes died.

Radiation is always the most scary when people don't understand/accept/respect just how dangerous it is. Chernobyl and other power plant disasters are good examples. But, if you look into the history of atomic weapons... it's truly stunning how little they understood about the effects of the radiation that they were putting into the atmosphere with all of the testing that they did. Crazy stuff. And, of course, there are the two bombs that were dropped on actual cities.

Check out this documentary if you get a chance:
    https://www.netflix.com/title/80208212
    What could possibly go wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by LorenFL View Post
    And, of course, there are the two bombs that were dropped on actual cities.

Check out this documentary if you get a chance:
    https://www.netflix.com/title/80208212
    And two nuclear bombs that were lost - one off the east coast of the United States.
    Too many ukes, but I can't stop buying!
    https://www.catskillukulelegroup.com/

Quote Originally Posted by kreon View Post
    One of the best TVshow about the Chernobyl tragedy. Amazing

What radiation has done to me: In 1973 when I was 23 years old, I was diagnosed with Hodgkins Disease, a form of lymph cancer. At the time there was no such thing as chemo therapy, only radiation treatments. Over a three month period I was hit with 4000 rads. I had to take anti-nausea meds (one day I missed it when I was scheduled to help a friend shoot a Hobie Cat ad in Hermosa Beach, the model was Bo Derek before she became famous). I got so sick, my friend had to turn back and drop me off.

They deemed me cured, but over the last 47 years I've suffered a great variety of ailments from the radiation. First, the hair around the back of neck never grew back. After about 10 years, it was discovered that my thyroid was dead and I had to go on thyroid replacement meds the rest of my life, which has caused me to gain over 30 pounds that I have a lot trouble losing.

A few years later, after seeing how much the muscles in my neck and shoulders atrophied, they found that the radiation damaged my spinal cord and nerves, preventing my neck and shoulder muscles from developing, which I strain all the time. I can't hold up my head properly, always in a stooped position, a neck brace makes it worse.

In 1996, after doing an annual physical, they found that the five coronary arteries surrounding my heart were damaged, developed scar tissue to which my high cholesterol clung, even though I was on statins, requiring quintuple by-pass open heart surgery. In 2002 I was diagnosed with bladder cancer, which they caught early and cured. In 2013 they found that three of the five by-pass arteries had closed completely, the fourth needed a stent, the fifth was the only one that functioned properly. I cannot exert very well now. Shortly after that, they discovered that I also had scaring in both of my front coradit arteries and had to have stents put in.

In 2018, they found that two of my main heart valves were damaged by the radiation and had to have another open heart surgery to replace those, which was a much bigger ordeal that time around, leaving me with a hernia at the solar plexus because the surgeon was not careful enough.

It has left me with a very low opinion of the medical establishment, but even so, I keep a positive attitude, look for ways of enjoying myself, like playing ukulele and bass uke with my seniors group, my nieces and nephews and brothers (I was never married and no kids, I know of), and never watch the news, to stay in a good mood all day.
    Last edited by kohanmike; 10-21-2020 at 06:58 AM.

Thread Information