Lower sounding ukes

leighk

Reaction score
Hi all, my first post - hope I am posting in the right place!

I prefer songs that tend to sound better a bit lower (for want of a better term). So I tend to play my Tenor Uke (Enya HPL) with a low G more.

But sometimes I want a lower sound without a low G (as it doesn't suit all songs) and it would be a bonus (but not essential) if this could be on a concert. I have only been playing for just under a year and couldn't justify more than ~$250 AUD ($150USD ) if I decide to get another uke.

What factors can influence this? Are there some models in this price range that produce a deeper/lower sound?

Are there strings that are all lower (not just low G)?

Is tuning standard strings a bit lower feasible?

Any other ideas?

As an aside. Is there a definition of terms people use in reviews like 'bright', 'warm', etc. in reviews. I am never sure if I really understand them.

Thanks!

It sounds like you're looking for a baritone ukulele.

You can tune your strings lower.

When you say "without a low G" it sounds like you want a reentrant tuning lower than gCEA. That is absolutely feasible. Many people (myself included) prefer tenors tuned down a step which you can do with virtually any tenor uke string set. Even lower is possible with special string sets. Down to dGBE is possible on tenor though sometimes nut slots need to be widened for those string sets.

That sounds like what I want. So what do you tune to ? fBDG? Is there a formula (or just a reference to what works) so I can try this out? Do I just play the same chords as I do now and everything sounds a little deeper?

If you're just playing by yourself, you can tune it to whatever you want, then relatively tune the rest of the strings.
Yes, you can just play the chords like you do now.

As long as you tune each string down by the same amount, you can play the same chords and it sounds deeper. This is called a "transposing instrument". Of course, if you're playing with someone else or a recording, you would have to play different chords to make the two fit together.

So it would be f Bb D G or if you went down another notch it would be e A C# F#

thanks. Are there any strings that work better this way? I recently switched from Aquila to Worth Browns, but can try different ones if they work better in these tunings.

Last edited:
Hi mate, I think it's better to stick to the standard tunings, either GCEA and DGBE.
It keeps you in tune with the rest of the world.

If you want to sound lower than GCEA with a low-G, try an Aquila Tenor DGBE set on your tenor ukulele.
They come with a re-entrant D string. Usually zero modifications needed to the instrument.

And you use baritone ukulele chords.
The shapes of the chords are the same, but transposed a few pitches (eg: Ukulele C chord = Baritone ukulele G chord)

Top Bottom