Old guitar player New to ukulele

Xuka

Reaction score
Hey Uke Buddies, I started playing uke this year, I recently started picking up sad little cast-off ukes and bringing them back to life, if possible, learning as I go. It’s been fun so far.

Hi Xuka! Welcome to the UU Forums.

Sounds as though you have very worthwhile project of repairing unloved ukuleles. Wonderful!

I hope you are also having fun playing them.

Former guitarist myself; I enjoy playing ukulele and to me,that is what it is all about! Keep playing and having fun doing it!

Bravo and welcome. I Played guitar for almost 50 years when I took up the ukulele over 7 years ago, and a year later added bass uke. I haven't touched my guitars since and gave them to my nephew, a very accomplished guitarist.

This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly Grove near the Beverly Center
9 tenor cutaway ukes, 4 acoustic bass ukes, 12 solid body bass ukes, 14 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 39)

Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
Member The CC Strummers: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

Welcome to UU, Xuka!
Spread the uke bug!

Welcome! Many of us are old guitar players, gone over to the uke side. ;)

Hi Xuka! Welcome to the UU Forums.

Sounds as though you have very worthwhile project of repairing unloved ukuleles. Wonderful!

I hope you are also having fun playing them.

I have been writing and posting a song each week since being in lockdown (one of my pandemic projects). Mostly on guitar, but I have incorporated the ukulele into several of them. It’s been fun.

Bravo and welcome. I Played guitar for almost 50 years when I took up the ukulele over 7 years ago, and a year later added bass uke. I haven't touched my guitars since and gave them to my nephew, a very accomplished guitarist.

This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly Grove near the Beverly Center
9 tenor cutaway ukes, 4 acoustic bass ukes, 12 solid body bass ukes, 14 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 39)

Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
Member The CC Strummers: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

Wow, that’s dedication. I’m enjoying the uke, but not ready to give up my guitars yet.

I'm another guitar player who's taken up the uke. I think if I'd stuck to one instrument I'd be pretty good by now, but after starting on guitar in 1960, I've taken up harmonica, mandolin, banjo, dulcimer, autoharp, concertina (and various squeeze boxes) and my latest is the ukulele. Most of my playing these days is on guitar and mouth harp with ukulele coming in at a close third and quickly gaining.

I'm another guitar player who's taken up the uke. I think if I'd stuck to one instrument I'd be pretty good by now, but after starting on guitar in 1960, I've taken up harmonica, mandolin, banjo, dulcimer, autoharp, concertina (and various squeeze boxes) and my latest is the ukulele. Most of my playing these days is on guitar and mouth harp with ukulele coming in at a close third and quickly gaining.

Guess I’m not the only one who owns instruments that I never learned to play. I have 3 violins, a cello and a flute and I can’t play any of them well enough to even call myself a beginner. I had a set of drums once, but I sold them as part of my Christmas present to my wife that year. I’m okay sticking with guitar, ukulele and harmonica. I really enjoy playing them.

Top Bottom