Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Decision Time

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Catskill Mountains, NY
    Posts
    6,773

    Default Decision Time

    I am converting a tennis racket into a ukulele. I've gotten this far, and now I have to decide how to attach these pieces and in what order.

    The long strips will widen the neck, and the larger piece will add the block at the neck/body joint. That block probably isn't necessary since this is a tennis racket, but it would give the uke that traditional look.

    Obviously, the block has to be trimmed and shaped, probably before attaching it. The thin strips are taller than the racket handle, so I'll have to trim them after I glue them on. That large baseboard will also have to be trimmed and shaped quite a bit - after it is attached.

    In attaching the strips, I think it would be better to line up the bottoms with the neck. Then I will use a band saw to trim the top even with the handle. Gluing and sawing one strip at a time is probably better than trying to saw them together.

    The headstock will come later.

    Obviously, I'm not a luthier, so if you have any suggestions, I'd be glad to hear them.

    Parts 2.jpg
    Too many ukes, but I can't stop buying!
    https://www.catskillukulelegroup.com/

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Location
    Ankeny, Iowa, USA
    Posts
    5

    Default

    No clue. But if you can get this to work, you will no longer be able to say you are not a luthier.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Catskill Mountains, NY
    Posts
    6,773

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by frankd View Post
    No clue. But if you can get this to work, you will no longer be able to say you are not a luthier.
    The neck has been built-up to size, and now I have to make that scarf joint cut. I was going to simply cut the end down at an angle for the headstock, but I understand that doing so makes for a weaker piece.
    Too many ukes, but I can't stop buying!
    https://www.catskillukulelegroup.com/

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Posts
    196

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerryc41 View Post
    I understand that doing so makes for a weaker piece.
    I think that's true in theory, but probably applies more to larger instruments - guitars etc. Ukulele headstocks are really short, only have four small tuners (so they aren't weakened by large or numerous holes), and aren't attached to big, heavy instruments. There's not a lot of weight or leverage to cause a break as sometimes happens on Gibson guitar and other large heavy instruments with one piece headstocks. I do scarfs on other instruments (electric guitars and bass guitars) but don't hesitate to do one piece necks on ukuleles.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Catskill Mountains, NY
    Posts
    6,773

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dwizum View Post
    I think that's true in theory, but probably applies more to larger instruments - guitars etc. Ukulele headstocks are really short, only have four small tuners (so they aren't weakened by large or numerous holes), and aren't attached to big, heavy instruments. There's not a lot of weight or leverage to cause a break as sometimes happens on Gibson guitar and other large heavy instruments with one piece headstocks. I do scarfs on other instruments (electric guitars and bass guitars) but don't hesitate to do one piece necks on ukuleles.
    I agree. A scientific test would probably show that the scarf joint is stronger, but is that much strength necessary. I hope to cut the angle today - maybe.
    Too many ukes, but I can't stop buying!
    https://www.catskillukulelegroup.com/

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Stockton on Tees..North East UK.
    Posts
    5,465

    Default

    I’ve seen Gibson type guitar one piece necks broken at the headstock where the grain runs out....and also guitar scarfed headstocks broken at the scarfe joint.. the Fender guitar type neck seems to be the better design.
    http://ukulele-innovation.tripod.com ebay i/d squarepeg_3000 Email timmsken@hotmail.com

    If you can believe that moving images and sound, can fly through empty space across the universe and be seen and heard on a box in your living room ?.. then you can believe in anything.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    496

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by frankd View Post
    No clue. But if you can get this to work, you will no longer be able to say you are not a luthier.
    You have a low bar as to to who is a luthier.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •