Decision Time

Jerryc41

Reaction score
I am converting a tennis racket into a ukulele. I've gotten this far, and now I have to decide how to attach these pieces and in what order.

The long strips will widen the neck, and the larger piece will add the block at the neck/body joint. That block probably isn't necessary since this is a tennis racket, but it would give the uke that traditional look.

Obviously, the block has to be trimmed and shaped, probably before attaching it. The thin strips are taller than the racket handle, so I'll have to trim them after I glue them on. That large baseboard will also have to be trimmed and shaped quite a bit - after it is attached.

In attaching the strips, I think it would be better to line up the bottoms with the neck. Then I will use a band saw to trim the top even with the handle. Gluing and sawing one strip at a time is probably better than trying to saw them together.

The headstock will come later.

Obviously, I'm not a luthier, so if you have any suggestions, I'd be glad to hear them.

Parts 2.jpg

No clue. But if you can get this to work, you will no longer be able to say you are not a luthier.

The neck has been built-up to size, and now I have to make that scarf joint cut. I was going to simply cut the end down at an angle for the headstock, but I understand that doing so makes for a weaker piece.

I understand that doing so makes for a weaker piece.

I think that's true in theory, but probably applies more to larger instruments - guitars etc. Ukulele headstocks are really short, only have four small tuners (so they aren't weakened by large or numerous holes), and aren't attached to big, heavy instruments. There's not a lot of weight or leverage to cause a break as sometimes happens on Gibson guitar and other large heavy instruments with one piece headstocks. I do scarfs on other instruments (electric guitars and bass guitars) but don't hesitate to do one piece necks on ukuleles.

I think that's true in theory, but probably applies more to larger instruments - guitars etc. Ukulele headstocks are really short, only have four small tuners (so they aren't weakened by large or numerous holes), and aren't attached to big, heavy instruments. There's not a lot of weight or leverage to cause a break as sometimes happens on Gibson guitar and other large heavy instruments with one piece headstocks. I do scarfs on other instruments (electric guitars and bass guitars) but don't hesitate to do one piece necks on ukuleles.

I agree. A scientific test would probably show that the scarf joint is stronger, but is that much strength necessary. I hope to cut the angle today - maybe.

I’ve seen Gibson type guitar one piece necks broken at the headstock where the grain runs out....and also guitar scarfed headstocks broken at the scarfe joint.. the Fender guitar type neck seems to be the better design.

Top Bottom