Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: High-end ukes with side soundport

Default High-end ukes with side soundport

I've been looking all over the place for high-end ukes (by which I mean around the $1000 mark, feel free to disagree) with side soundports but haven't had much luck. I've mostly been able to find side soundports on mid range ukes - like some of the Flight models and all Kai ukuleles - or really high-end models, much closer to $2000 which is a price I'm not really ready to pay for a uke at least currently. The only uke brand with a side soundport around that $1000 range I was able to find is Maestro ukuleles. They seem to be decent quality but I'm not familiar with them. They are a Singapore based guitar manufacturer that also make ukuleles but I can't really tell from the few videos I found whether I would enjoy the sound. I also saw some Pono Pro Classic models that had a side soundport but didn't find any that were available near me.

Any idea if I'm just missing brands that do side soundport on their ukes at that $1000 price range or are they really as rare as hen's teeth?

Default Cocobolo has sound ports

Quote Originally Posted by Dohle View Post
    I've been looking all over the place for high-end ukes (by which I mean around the $1000 mark, feel free to disagree) with side soundports but haven't had much luck. I've mostly been able to find side soundports on mid range ukes - like some of the Flight models and all Kai ukuleles - or really high-end models, much closer to $2000 which is a price I'm not really ready to pay for a uke at least currently. The only uke brand with a side soundport around that $1000 range I was able to find is Maestro ukuleles. They seem to be decent quality but I'm not familiar with them. They are a Singapore based guitar manufacturer that also make ukuleles but I can't really tell from the few videos I found whether I would enjoy the sound. I also saw some Pono Pro Classic models that had a side soundport but didn't find any that were available near me.

Any idea if I'm just missing brands that do side soundport on their ukes at that $1000 price range or are they really as rare as hen's teeth?
    http://www.cocoboloukuleles.com/

FatherXmas beat me to it.

The Cocobolos are perhaps closer to mid range pricevice at about $500, but they are stunning, loud and have high playability. And I like the tone a lot.
    I am not that into the sideport myself, bought mine in spite of it in stead of because.
    Last edited by UkingViking; 10-10-2020 at 08:29 AM.
    3 tenors ukuleles and 4 concert ukuleles, wonder it that is enough.

I have one uke with a side sound port. It is a Pono Master Series and new it was in the $1000 price range. Before getting it, I thought the side port would make a significant difference. I have not found that to be the case. The experience of others may differ from mine . . .

Several individual builders do side ports in that price range. Jupiter Ukuleles and Covered Bridge are two that come to mind. A few others in the $1500 range also come to mind like Ono, Iriguchi, and Kimo.
    Ukulele:
    Iriguchi Tenor "Weeble" - A, WoU Clarity
    Blue Star 19" baritone Konablaster - DGBE
    Cocobolo 16" SC#1-gCEA, SC SLMU
    Ono #42 19" baritone, Ab, LW
    Imua iET-Bb, M600
    Covered Bridge CLN pineapple - Eb cuatro, SC XLL
    Rogue bari
    Bonanza super tenor, cFAD SC LHU
    Kala KSLNG, Eb SC XLU
    Hanson 5-string tenor, dGCEA
    Bonanza SLN GCEA
    Bonanzalele concert
    Guitars:
    Jupiter #47, G, TI CF127
    Pelem, B reentrant
    Jupiter #71, A, UG1

!Flukutronic!

If you want to up the cost, Koo’olau has a thin line with side port. Not sure if they still make them but I have one and I do like a side port. Not playing now due to a broken right arm but got a few strums today using my pinky. And at least I could hear it! Very easy playing too.

I've been eyeing on the Cocobolo ukes occasionally and I think they're stunning. I have no doubt the quality is there even though they're priced more like mid-range ukes. The lottery system is not ideal since it's not a guarantee you'd be able to get one. Last time I checked, they only had tenors on the lottery and I'm looking for a concert (or a soprano although that size is probably not ideal for a side soundport) so I didn't participate. I'll have to keep my eyes open.

Not really looking for going the custom route. I have one commissioned already and hopefully ready soon.

Thanks for the comments on the side soundport in general. I'm trying to find a mid to high-end uke with one simply because I don't have a uke with one and I'm intrigued by it, but it's certainly not a requirement. Just thought I'd scratch that feature off of the list while getting my next uke if I can find something nice.

Quote Originally Posted by quiltingshirley View Post
    If you want to up the cost, Koo’olau has a thin line with side port. Not sure if they still make them but I have one and I do like a side port. Not playing now due to a broken right arm but got a few strums today using my pinky. And at least I could hear it! Very easy playing too.
    Ko'olau ukes are at least typically beyond my budget and often not available anyway. That $1000 price range or slightly above has been my limit so far and probably will be for the foreseeable future. At least until I happen to bump into my dream ukulele at which point I'll probably sell the house to fund it.
    Last edited by Dohle; 10-10-2020 at 11:00 AM.

In the ~$1500 range the Blackbird Farallon can be ordered with a side port, as can the ~$1000 Klos All Carbon.
    Blackbird Farallon Ekoa Tenor
    Beltona Songster Resonator Tenor
    Klos Carbon Fiber Tenor
    Magic Fluke Tenor Firefly Banjolele

I can give a big thumbs up to Cocobolo. I scored my concert on the second time I entered the lottery. It’s a great sounding, easy playing, and beautiful ukulele at a reasonable price.
    My ukulele family.....
    KoAloha Koa concert - circa 2006 (Living Waters)
    aNueNue Moon Bird concert - Spruce & Rosewood - 2018 (Blackwater)
    Blackbird Clara - 2019 (Oasis Bright)
    Cocobolo concert - 2019 (Worth Brown)

At my local Music store the guitar guy's rave about the Maestro guitars and ukuleles. Definitely worth looking at if you can give one a play. I can't say that I have played them myself because at their price I will usually go for a custom build and realise that also means that I'm not really in the market for big name Hawaiian ukuleles either.

Thread Information