Season 452: Your Relaxing Music Week

Tootler

Reaction score
I'm putting this up early so you can be thinking about next week's entries while I work on a video which I'll post later.

There's a UK Radio station called "Smooth Radio" and one of their continuity announcements is "Smooth Radio, your relaxing music mix" so that's this week's theme and is the sort of music you should bring us. Smooth Radio mostly plays music from the 70s to the 90s of the last century but you don't have to stick to that period. Any music you consider to be "smooth" or "relaxing" is good. I reckon that leaves it pretty open though hard rock, metal & punk doesn't really qualify as "smooth". However, I leave it up to you to decide. The theme is partly, at least intended as a contrast to Val's from S451 but there are undoubtedly songs that would fit both categories.

The usual rules and guidelines apply

* The recording must be new and made for this week
* Ukulele must be prominent feature though other instruments may also feature.
* State somewhere your video is for Season 453
* Start and finsh times as usual, 8 days starting midnight Hawaii on Sunday morning and ending Midnight Hawaii the following Saturday night
* Most importantly, this is about fun so enjoy yourselves.

To our more prolific contributors can I ask you to limit yourselves to one song a day please (I struggle to get two in the week, these days!)

Playlist

Last edited:
If only I knew some relaxing music I liked to play... hey, wait, this may be my kind of theme :)

Hosts privilege. Posting the first video early. An Everly Brothers' song from 1960. Smooth enough?

The video uses a photo animating app I have on my android tablet.

Please remember that Season 451 is still live and no postings till midnight Sunday Hawaii time.

Great theme - it will an eclectic mix for sure. Can't wait to see what kind of music relaxes this group. I apologize upfront Geoff. I just recorded my first video and I announced the season as 'SMOOTH'.

This song showed up in a google search for Smooth 70s music. It's definitely the kind of music you would hear playing in the background.

Cheers Geoff. A nice broad theme. I've gone to Antonio Carlos Jobim. He of many smooth bossa nova tunes.

Leadbelly did a song called Relax your mind, but the
Incredible String Band did their own version of it,
and I have dredged up a mongrel version of it from
my dodgy old memory.

In life when you get the green light GO and when
you get the red light STOP... pretty good advice...
in the meantime just Relax your mind.
Try this Jay Ungar and Molly Mason version. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=luoD_SGhKi4

Last edited:
Thanks for hosting, Geoff!
Looking forward to hearing everyone's smooth, relaxing sounds over the next week.
My first choice is this song by one of my all time favourite bands, Teenage Fanclub from one of my all time favourite albums. I'm not sure that they've ever made the Smooth Radio playlist but they've been on heavy rotation on my personal 'kick back and relax' playlist for the last 25 years or so.

It even has the word 'mellow' in the title...

For Season 452, I am happy to present a collaboration with Liz Brinker, who in recent weeks has been knocking us over with her combination of super uke and singing skills. When I saw her original video of this for Jon's alphabet season I started singing the harmony and realized it would be fun to add my touch to the tune.

Here's "Love Reign O'er Me" by the Who. Liz plays concert ukulele and sings the lead vocal. I overdubbed tracks of Ashbory Ubass, tenor ukulele, and secondary vocal line.

Thanks for hosting Geoff! I hope to have a second submission for the season.

Last edited:
Happen to have two for this week! Another collab with my brother...for the old-timers (like me)...

Back in the olden days I made myself a mixtape of power ballads and would frequently listen to it as I was going to sleep. They were always good chillout music to me.

Hi Geoff! I hope this one qualifies --

Smooth Radio asked their listeners, "Who is your favorite artist of all time?"

George Michael was the runner-up.

Top Bottom