Review: Horse Ukulele HUK-23C (Laminate Sapele)

UkeStuff

Reaction score
Lotmusic asked if I would review their ukulele; I replied that I already had; they let me know that it was a new version--and it is.

It's a pretty solid beginner ukulele made of laminate sapele, and a better kit than their other model--but I miss some of the special touches of the mahogany version. Of greatest concern is the action on this one at the nut...1mm at the 1st fret. Easily enough rectified, but maybe not for the beginner this instrument is aimed at.

I came to the conclusion while recording the reviews that this is the Toyota Corolla of ukulele. It's well mannered, will get you from point A to point B, at an affordable price--but it's still a Corolla. And that isn't a put-down...all of our automobiles are Toyotas.

The two videos below are the One Minute Ukulele Review, as well as the extended UkeGuide ukulele review. Please take note that the UkeGuide videos are rather extensive, so feel free to skip to parts that interest you.

Your reviews just get better and better. They sent me the mahogany one, too, and I gifted it to a friend, after testing and review. She’s very happy with it and it sounds good when we meet on video chat for her lessons. Well worth the money.

Just had one arrive and will be reviewing in a week or so..

The sandpaper strip is a new one on me - almost like them saying 'meh, we couldn't be bothered to make sure the setup was ok, so have a go yourself...'

Really odd thing to include!

I try to film without my glasses as the glare from the ring light is unavoidable—so when I opened this one, I had no idea what the sandpaper originally was—it is such a small piece of sandpaper at that.

I’ll be interested to read/watch your thoughts. I don’t think it will amaze you in any way, and it’s still an Amazon purchase, as a company under the larger umbrella that also contains Kmise and Aklot.

Every time I read the logo I read 'Hearse'..

Top Bottom