Best tenor under U$ 1000 ??

patico

Reaction score
Hi all.
I was looking for Ponos in that range (under U$ 1000), best model??
any other brands??

What would be the best option in that price range??

Tenor + Hard Case

Thanks for your inputs

Last edited:
I think “best” is impossible—but there are many excellent choices.

What factors appeal to you in an instrument? Wood type? Type of headstock? Which appointments appeal to you?

Pono is a solid choice. There are also Romeros, and KoAloha Opio.

In a very closely related category are some wonderful ukuleles by Snail and Flight (Mustang, Phantom, and Fireball) as well as a number of the Flight Princess models with the Soundwave pickup.

There are also some very nice Leolani models—and the bargain priced but “get more than you pay for” Mainland Ukuleles.

And in a complete budget range—without a case—look at the solid acacia models from Koa Kalane.

No personal preferences regarding woods, headstock, colour, etc
Just need a good sounding ukulele for outdoor playing

(Low G)

Last edited:
There are many, many nice tenor choices for under $1000. That budget opens up a lot of doors for really nice ukes. I love my Rebel Double Cheese, and I just got a beautiful Pono Pro Classic Acacia Cutaway Tenor ATC-PC that I've been lusting for. You can occasionally find some of the lower end Hawaiian brand tenors for around that price used. You can get custom from some builders. My Kala Flame maple was only around $500, and sounds awesome with the Uke Logic string change. Romeros are nice. So many choices! Have fun deciding!

No personal preferences regarding woods, headstock, colour, etc
Just need a good sounding ukulele for outdoor playing

(Low G)

If it’s all about sound, which is as it should be, listen to the many sound samples available to decide what sounds good to you. The Ukulele Site is good for this, as is Baz’s GotAUkulele YouTube reviews.

If possible use quality headphones. The tinny speakers on smartphones, tablets, and most laptops are woefully inadequate for this task.

If you want a Hawaiian ukre, the Kanilea Oha-T is usually under $800.00.

Oha would be my choice as well, both for sound quality and for the way Kanileas feel in my hands.

Cali Ukes built by Mike Pereira. Solid walnut tenor built by Mike in California $830.

Speaking as someone who's currently having a custom, luthier-made ukulele built, you can get some excellent instruments in that price range from small, one-man (or woman) builders. You may have to wait several months (or years!) but you'll have the satisfaction of having one made to your exact specifications and you'll be supporting a small business.

Thanks for your inputs.
Gotta search Rebel ukuleles, Kala, LoPrinzi and those Cali
Used one can be as well, gonna search in Marketplace.

Thanks, thanks, thanks

There is an excellent AnueNue Moonbird tenor currently listed on this forum for $1100-- if he's a little negotiable this would be hard to beat in your price range.

Agree with above
It’s a great Uke, know it personally

Thanks all for the inputs
I searched the Marketplace and found something in the price range.

Thanks a lot !!
i'll be practicing to record something as soon as I recieve the nue uke. Hope it's soon.

Muchas Gracias

Top Bottom