Martin vs Worth Soprano strings

Astein2006

Reaction score
So I recently strung my Ohana Sk-38 with M600’s. While I like them: the tone and volume are nice BUT I’m not psyched about how they feel strumming. I have an Ohana Sk-39 strung with Worth Browns and it feels so much easier to strum. Less effort on both hands. Essentially these ukes are the same just different finishes and appointments. Can anyone weigh in on why I am feeling this? Is there a difference in tension? I want clear fluorocarbon strings on my Sk-38 not browns. Do the Worth Clears have the same tensions as the Browns?? Any suggestions? Thanks.

Last edited:
I've always found that the Martin M600s feel a bit higher tension than Worth Clears (or Browns). Not so much that I have an issue with them personally but it is noticeable for me. Particularly the C strings in the Martin set is fatter than with the Worth set so that might be one aspect of it. The other strings are closer to each other in terms of gauges. Without knowing specifics on the density of the strings, I can only describe how I've felt the difference between the two. Worth Browns and Clears are very close to each other in terms of tension so you should definitely try some Worth CMs. If they still feel too high tension Worth also make low tension strings, so in that case Worth CLs would be your best bet.

Martin string tension feels somewhere between Worth medium and Worth high tension to me. If you want an easier strumming string, Worth also sells a low tension version. Many ukulele specialty stores sell them. Worth recommends their low tension strings for people who do easy strumming and their medium and high tension strings for more aggressive strumming and fingerstyle playing.

Martin string tension feels somewhere between Worth medium and Worth high tension to me. If you want an easier strumming string, Worth also sells a low tension version. Many ukulele specialty stores sell them. Worth recommends their low tension strings for people who do easy strumming and their medium and high tension strings for more aggressive strumming and fingerstyle playing.

I strum fairly hard. Not over the top but with some zest. I just felt an ease on the Worth Browns vs the M600’s. The worth’s took it and yet it felt easier. So I’m guessing the Clear Mediums should have the same feel as the Brown Mediums unless I’m mistaken.

Last edited:
I've always found that the Martin M600s feel a bit higher tension than Worth Clears (or Browns). Not so much that I have an issue with them personally but it is noticeable for me. Particularly the C strings in the Martin set is fatter than with the Worth set so that might be one aspect of it. The other strings are closer to each other in terms of gauges. Without knowing specifics on the density of the strings, I can only describe how I've felt the difference between the two. Worth Browns and Clears are very close to each other in terms of tension so you should definitely try some Worth CMs. If they still feel too high tension Worth also make low tension strings, so in that case Worth CLs would be your best bet.

Thanks for the suggestion. Will try some CM’s.

Top Bottom