Sanding the back of headstocks

Timbuck

Reaction score
I wasn't able to watch , it said the video was private .

"You’re a stupid doddering old git Ken"
Nope, you're not!!

I drilled a hole in the top of my spindle sander and made pivoting fence. A bit of threaded rod on the outside clamps to the bottom of the spindle sander table. I use it for all sorts of things, like thicknessing rough nuts and saddles (double-stick taped to a carrier board), sanding the back of the headstock parallel to the face (and thicknessing the headstock), taking pearl cut from shells down to a uniform thickness, .... I find it very useful. The fence is attached to the spindle sander most of the time.

Attachments

• IMG_20201012_201727.jpg
    IMG_20201012_201727.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 49
I drilled a hole in the top of my spindle sander and made pivoting fence. A bit of threaded rod on the outside clamps to the bottom of the spindle sander table. I use it for all sorts of things, like thicknessing rough nuts and saddles (double-stick taped to a carrier board), sanding the back of the headstock parallel to the face (and thicknessing the headstock), taking pearl cut from shells down to a uniform thickness, .... I find it very useful. The fence is attached to the spindle sander most of the time.

I tried that method and found that the oscillating motion made slight ripples in the finish on the headstock backs..But it was ok on other things like neck and tail blocks.

I use the spindle sander as above. You have to make sure the headstock is held firmly against the fence as it is passed through to reduce the ripple effect. I always leave a little meat on so I can sand any slight ripples out with a block. Seems to work ok for me.

Top Bottom