Song Help Request Time After Time by Chet Baker

RafterGirl

Reaction score
Looking for the chords to this 1940s song by Chet Baker. I can find people playing it on the ukulele on You Tube, but not with the chords.

Found this on Ultimate Guitar. Sometimes these can be lacking and I didn't try it so I hope it helps.

chet.jpg

That's the only one I've found so far. I'm not super familiar with the song, so that makes it a little harder to figure out. I'm trying to find a simple version to start with.

In F it's pretty easy..... F Dm Bb C7, but there are a few lines that have me perplexed.

If you have Beloff's The Daily Uku, Leap Year Edition, go to page 350. He does attribute this version to Sammy Cahn/Jule Styne,

Last edited:
RafterGirl, I found this. Couldn't figure out how to cut and paste this.

ukuland.com>songs>154377-frank-sinatra-time-after-time Its a great song, with a typical great arrangement. Hope this helps.

If you have Beloff's The Daily Uku, Leap Year Edition, go to page 350. He does attribute this version to Sammy Cahn/Jule Styne,

Oh No, an excuse to buy that book! Is that the Blue Book?

I think I've got the basics from Ultimate Guitar, but any other help is welcome.

I was watching a show on PBS last night (Last Tango In Halifax) and the show ended with the characters dancing to this song. Lovely tune that's now stuck in my head.

It is the blue book. I watched the same PBS show last night and got hooked into the same tab hunt. Worked on one set of tabs for a bit only to realize it was the Cyndi Lauper song of the same title. The blue book tabs have me using some 'not used everyday' chords (C#m7(flat)5th, Cm6 and a few others) but it is close to the Halifax version and fun for a challenge.

Last edited:
I think this is what you are looking for, Time After Time by Jule Styne and Sammy Cahn (1947)
Time After Time Leadsheet.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Be6GexGEKGc
Here a link to a live version Chet Baker did (I believe in Belgium? early 1960's). Chet did the tune in C on all the recordings I've heard of him performing it.
This video link here has been pitch corrected. There are a bunch of other people who have uploaded the same video, but it is about 50 cents sharp and really not conducive to playing along with.

This is another version Chet did, a bit more up tempo:
https://youtu.be/1CCtdYWKa_A

And just for fun, this is a version by the great trombonist J.J. Johnson. It is one of the first songs I transcribed for trombone back when I started uni years ago...
https://youtu.be/GrceVvivtQM
This version is in F.

Last edited:
You can run it through Chordify, and you can then play along with YouTube. You can repeat it till you get it under your fingers. You could become a premium member, and the app then allows you to export the chord boxes to a pdf. Or you could take a photo of the chord progression and practise from the chord boxes.

https://chordify.net/

I've tried Chordify and You Tube with some success. There are just so many versions of this song, and each one has some little difference. It's the.....So lucky to be the one you run to see. In the evening when the day is through, part that varies a bit from singer to singer. I can't quite get a handle on it, but I'm getting there.

It's sweet torture when a song gets in your head, and won't let go.

To clarify..... The song was performed by Chet Baker (and many others) , but written by Sammy Cahn & Jule Styne

I found another great arrangement of this old chestnut. It's in Jumpin' Jim's Ukulele Masters, Lyle Ritz. With the orange cover. It has 25 Jazz Classics arranged for ukulele. It's a wise investment if you are interested in jazz/swing/big band classics. Hope this helps.

I agree with Ubulele, Chordify is not there yet. Even with really simple songs it is off drastically.

Raftergirl, did you try the chords in my previous reply?

Thanks

Thanks to everyone for the resources, and the music you posted/sent to me. Now I'll figure out a key that I can sing this in.

Top Bottom