Crack repair repair help

Pukulele Pete

Reaction score
I have a uke with a repaired crack . The repair was done with super
glue . The crack is in the top and it wasnt lined up correctly so
one side of the crack is a little higher than the other.
At the lower side there is a small bead of super glue along its length.
Is there a safe way to remove the superglue ?
I've seen some superglue removers on the market .
I'm thinking about brushing some acetone on the glue and then
scraping it off , and removing it from the crack so it can
be lined up and glued .
The crack is a little over 2 inches , I'm wondering if I'm going
to make a mistake by trying to remove the superglue.
Has anyone had any experience with a repair of this kind? ?
Thank You for any help .

Can you show us a photo? Are the braces inside all intact? Any indication as to what originally caused the crack - and if so, has that cause been dealt with? Same for the uneven repair - any indication why the two sides of the crack aren't even?

It's tough for me to get a good close up picture . I have no idea what caused the crack . I thinking about using acetone but I'm not sure what it might do to the finish.
I'm also thinking just leave it as is , it's a vintage Martin Concert . I don't want to make it worse than it is right now.
I may just repair the crack as best I can and leave the superglue where it is .CIMG5508.jpg

Here is a better picture . Boy , it really looks ugly

No kidding. That is a botched job alright. Didn't even wipe off the excess. Good example of making things worse. Probably should have just left the crack alone... Looks like you have two cracks with a smaller one on the left... If you go at with acetone you risk ruining the finish (love the old timey crazing) and just smearing the CA glue around making things even worse... Not sure how you propose to line up the crack without going at it from the inside where there maybe more damage. If you really value this uke you should consider handing it over to a pro restorer and pay big bucks.

That's definitely a "I wouldn't start from there" situation!

If it were mine I'd scrape back the CA with a razor blade to reduce the ugliness, touch up with some shellac and then polish locally and knock off the shine to match the rest of the top finish. But I've built quite a few instruments, so I'm confident I could avoid the several failure modes of doing this. Even so, the best I could do is make it look less bad.

CA is close to permanent. If (a big if) a skilled repairer could remove it, they could make that nearly disappear. But that kind of skill is very costly!

Whatever you decide, it's important that it doesn't make things even worse. If you're not confident of that, doing it yourself will almost certainly make it worse. For sure, don't splash acetone all over it ...

One way I may fix this is to use gel superglue remover and a small exacto blade chisel to remove the superglue . Then open the crack with either acetone or using a blade.
I can re align the crack with super magnets , reglue the crack and then finish the crack by drop filling lacquer on the repaired areas .

The more I look at the uke , I think that maybe it was El Kabonged . There is some damage to the finish on the center of the back where it might have been banged.

Last edited:
Top Bottom