Thread: We need songs!

Default We need songs!

Our new trio, the Mother Pluckers, is working out of a book of Christmas songs for instrumental ukulele trio. We're doing so well, we've decided to look for non holiday songs for ukulele ensembles, because we'd like to continue to play together after Christmas.
    Does anyone have any suggestions of multiple part non vocals songs?
    "Those who bring sunshine and laughter to the lives of others cannot keep it from themselves".

Music washes from the soul, the dust of everyday living.

Some of the more "folkie" sounding, acoustic guitar driven Beatles songs work well as instrumentals.
    I'm thinking of Nowhere Man, Here, There and Everywhere, Fool on the Hill etc.
    Could be simply arranged for three parts; 1. Fingerpicked chords, 2. Melody, 3. Harmony and Fills.

Just to be pedantic, isn't the phrase "non vocals songs" a bit of a contradiction of terms?

Vintage

Hi Nickie,
    I highly recommend “Evelyn's Big Book for Mandolins 2015: A Collection of Tunes for 3 Mandolins.” Our local ukulele fingerpicking ensemble uses this book a lot. It contains more than 150 reels, jigs, hornpipes, waltzes, airs, and songs arranged for folk ensembles to play for many occasions. Although arranged for mandolins, they fit well on a ukulele. There are traditional tunes from across three centuries and around the world (England, Ireland, Italy, Scotland, Sweden, the United States, and Wales); timeless favorites by Russian, European and American composers; exquisite tunes from contemporary composers like Paul Gitlitz, Pete Jung, and Larry Unger. Each arrangement consists of the melody line, a descant line (harmony generally within or higher than the melody), and a harmony line (generally lower than the melody, good for ukes with a Low G). Chords are also provided. Most scores are printed on one page, though a few run to two pages. Available at Amazon.
    KoAloha KCM-00
    KoAloha Opio KCO-10
    Thormahlen Yew-kulele
    Kala KA-SLNG
    Flight TUS35

Quote Originally Posted by VintageGibson View Post
    Some of the more "folkie" sounding, acoustic guitar driven Beatles songs work well as instrumentals.
    I'm thinking of Nowhere Man, Here, There and Everywhere, Fool on the Hill etc.
    Could be simply arranged for three parts; 1. Fingerpicked chords, 2. Melody, 3. Harmony and Fills.

Just to be pedantic, isn't the phrase "non vocals songs" a bit of a contradiction of terms?

Vintage
    Sorry, I guess that would be called a "piece", not a song. We're not singers.But we do love the Beatles, thanks!
    "Those who bring sunshine and laughter to the lives of others cannot keep it from themselves".

Thanks, Jan, I will share this info with the other members! I think this will be very helpful...

Quote Originally Posted by Nickie View Post
    Sorry, I guess that would be called a "piece", not a song. We're not singers.But we do love the Beatles, thanks!
    A song has lyrics. If there are no lyrics, it’s usually called a tune. Piece works equally well for both. :-)
    KoAloha KCM-00
    KoAloha Opio KCO-10
    Thormahlen Yew-kulele
    Kala KA-SLNG
    Flight TUS35

How about a musical round or canon? Dona Nobis Pachem (maybe too Christmas). I tried to link a PDF but the site though I was spamming and cut me off for a day.
    Kamaka HF3, Tenor
    Martin S1, Soprano
    Ko'olau C1, Concert
    Flight TUS-35

I ordered the book “Evelyn's Big Book for Mandolins 2015: A Collection of Tunes for 3 Mandolins", so we'll see what happens!

When you've mentioned "Christmas songs" I recognized some as "Silent Night" and "Christmas Carol" when I was child. Unfortunately, these are vocal songs but we always keep them in memory

Yes, Christmas Carols for Ukulele Orchestra is a great little book. We're learning 6 tunes right now. We've transcribed ukulele one of the first song of the mandolin book so far. We hope to have at least one ready for St Patties Day.

Thread Information