Uke Selling

CYN

Reaction score
I looked through the uu forum rules and I have not found the rules on selling ukes on this forum. Maybe I missed it but could someone point me in the right direction. I would like to make sure I know all the rules since I have some more expensive ukes I might like to part with in the future and would want to do it right. Thanks a lot.

I could never see the point of knowing why anyone is selling anything. I'm sure that, "I need money!" is a common one, but do people always want to admit that? If there is a defect, the seller should be explaining that in the description. I've never listed a reason for selling, and "need money" and "thinning the herd" are the only two I recall hearing. We should outlaw "thinning the herd." :D

We should outlaw "thinning the herd." :D

I agree. Instead of "thinning the herd", we should use the phrase "thinning the woods" which is a good forestry practice that allows the remaining woods space to breath and thrive.

Perhaps a more timely reason would be “parting with weaker subjects to develop herd immunity”

Or just say the truth " I don't like this ukulele anymore " .

Inventory Reduction Sale! Priced to Move. :cool:

But is not a group of ukuleles called a "heard of ukuleles"?

I could never see the point of knowing why anyone is selling anything. I'm sure that, "I need money!" is a common one, but do people always want to admit that? If there is a defect, the seller should be explaining that in the description. I've never listed a reason for selling, and "need money" and "thinning the herd" are the only two I recall hearing. We should outlaw "thinning the herd." :D

I think having a reason for selling is a good thing because that's the #1 question on the buyer's mind. "Why are you selling it?" The best answer is "I don't play it as often as I like".
I can't understand why anybody would say "I need money" (even if there's some truth to it); that's just silly. If you must say that, then say "I want something else more".

Haven't we all answered the question "why are you selling it?" from potential buyers? Coming from a guitar background, I have heard that question asked many times in response to an ad. It's not as bad as "how much does it weigh?", though.

I think having a reason for selling is a good thing because that's the #1 question on the buyer's mind. "Why are you selling it?" The best answer is "I don't play it as often as I like".
I can't understand why anybody would say "I need money" (even if there's some truth to it); that's just silly. If you must say that, then say "I want something else more".

I don't care why they're selling it as long as I can buy it. :eek:

I think the question, "Why are you selling it?" could be translated, "Is there anything wrong with it?". Potential buyers want to hear any response other than it's cracked, the neck is twisted, it sounds terrible, it needs repair, etc., etc.

Last edited:
I think the question, "Why are you selling it?" could be translated, "Is there anything wrong with it?". Potential buyers want to hear any response other than it's cracked, the neck is twisted, it sounds terrible, it needs repair, etc., etc.

I always ask "why are you selling it?" unless the seller has stated it already; but I don't ask "is there anything wrong with it?" I expect the seller to disclose any issues or that I must find them, if any. I think I'm paranoid. I walk away when things turn up different than expected; then sometimes I go back and buy it anyway. But I must walk away first to let me think without pressure. The only item that I maybe somewhat regretful with this behavior is a house that I missed; but that's only 1 in my whole life so far.

Top Bottom