Confused about Humidity

Well, I'm never to old to learn! The problem I was having understanding this was that to keep my house at 78deg in the summer with about 50% humidity my dehumidifier needs to remove about 7 gallons of water a day. I couldn't understand how my central air could also remove humidity since it's just a closed pipe system to the a/c outside and the evaporator coil inside. If it were to dehumidify, there had to be water going somewhere. The answer is simple: There is a condensate tray under the evaporator coil which catches and sends the evaporator's water drippings to the condensate drain, to a pump, and finally to the sewer. Duh on me :p

I still don't feel I understand all the temperature/humidity issues well, but at least my ukuleles are safe.

32% humidity in the house now time to refill the Oasis soon. I humidify three ukes and four guitars and refill them every week. It's a bit of an effort.

It hasn't gotten cold enough yet to turn on my forced air furnace, but soon I think. Then I'll be in a similar position as you.....watering three ukes all winter long to keep them happy.

Top Bottom