Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Nut width

I do find the Kanile'a K1-T tenors' A-string is easier to accidentally push or pull off the side edge of the fretboard. Especially compared to a Ko'Aloha KTM-00 tenor.

To be honest, I think the flatter neck of the Kanile'a makes a bigger difference in how your hand will fit the fretboard than the string width.

I like both very much.
    There is a subtle yet profound difference between the learning of something and the knowing of that thing.
    You can learn by reading, but you don’t begin to know until you begin to try to do.

—Lou Churchill, Plane & Pilot Magazine

Quote Originally Posted by clear View Post
    Which model do you have?
    The ruler is a gold-plated Milne Trucking Co. product. The Kamaka is a HF-3LDS and since it is one of the centennial anniversary ukes it has some special appointments and I don't know if the nut width is one of those perks or if it is standard on this model.

I would like to add one other dimension to this thread. We've talked about nut width, string spacing, but I think another factor is neck profile. I bring this up because I had never thought about it. Even when I bespoke a custom uke, I never asked for anything special. Luckily the luthier did something that I happened to adore. The neck profile was somewhat flat (I think guitarists call it the D shape). So when thinking about nut width and string spacing on the front of the uke, also remember to consider the back of the neck as well

Quote Originally Posted by ripock View Post
    The ruler is a gold-plated Milne Trucking Co. product.
    Funny , . . .
    " Anything larger than a soprano is cheating "
    " I'm no luthier but ,........"

Quote Originally Posted by clear View Post
    Perhaps you tried a classical guitar? They have flat fretboards and abnormally high actions. Plus, you need scary fingernails to really play them.
    Give acoustic and electric guitars a try instead. All have a radiused fretboards and lower action.
    I tried both, standard flattop and classical, no go. I need a radiused ukulele. So I bought one, it works great.
    "Those who bring sunshine and laughter to the lives of others cannot keep it from themselves".

Music washes from the soul, the dust of everyday living.

Quote Originally Posted by Cadia View Post
    My Rebel has a 1.5" nut. However the string spacing is closer at the nut than say, my Kanile'a or Pono Pro.
    The Rebel tenor pics I've seen look much like Koaloha tenors: wide 38mm nuts, with rather narrow 27mm string spread at the nut.
    John

Thread Information