Nut width

DavidGuitar95010

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I've seen some thoughtful comments about why nut width is only one factor to consider regarding playability for the husky fingered crowd. But for me, the Kanilea ukuleles (including Islander) always feel the best in my hands due to the 1.5" nut width on their tenor ukuleles.

The chart below shows Koaloha and the Kala Elite line as also having the larger nut width. Anyone have suggestions for other brands to consider?

https://ukenut.com/comparison-of-ukulele-nut-widths/

You also have to account for string spacing, or distance from the G to A string. KoAloha has the wider nut, but its string spacing is narrower than many that have 38 mm nut widths.

I had never considered it before, but your comment bestirred my curiosity. I pulled my ruler out of the drawer and measured my Kamaka, and it has a 1.5 inch nut. I'm sure my custom uke also has the same measurement, but I can't be arsed to get it out of its case right now. Something else to consider is string placement on the 1.5 inch nut. The A string on my Kamaka is closer to the edge of the fret board than my custom uke. Although it doesn't affect me whatsoever, it may be an important factor to someone else.

Depending on the player, you may or may not be bothered by nut width. But if you like wider string width, it's nice to have a wider nut. I had an Islander with a 38mm/1.5" nut but the string spacing wasn't particularly wide. I thought it was fine. But if you are specifically looking for a neck that fits your comfort requirements, then nut width and neck profile can be important. String width can be modified with a new nut. If your nut's too narrow, then you're limited on how much you can spread the strings.

Besides nut width and space there, there's also differences in string spacing at the bridge.

I tried a 1.5" nut, on an un-radiused fretboard. I couldn't play it! Too flat and too wide for my hand. That's why I sucked so bad at guitar!

I tried a 1.5" nut, on an un-radiused fretboard. I couldn't play it! Too flat and too wide for my hand. That's why I sucked so bad at guitar!

Perhaps you tried a classical guitar? They have flat fretboards and abnormally high actions. Plus, you need scary fingernails to really play them.
Give acoustic and electric guitars a try instead. All have a radiused fretboards and lower action.

My Rebel has a 1.5" nut. However the string spacing is closer at the nut than say, my Kanile'a or Pono Pro.

I do find the Kanile'a K1-T tenors' A-string is easier to accidentally push or pull off the side edge of the fretboard. Especially compared to a Ko'Aloha KTM-00 tenor.

To be honest, I think the flatter neck of the Kanile'a makes a bigger difference in how your hand will fit the fretboard than the string width.

I like both very much.

Which model do you have?

The ruler is a gold-plated Milne Trucking Co. product. The Kamaka is a HF-3LDS and since it is one of the centennial anniversary ukes it has some special appointments and I don't know if the nut width is one of those perks or if it is standard on this model.

I would like to add one other dimension to this thread. We've talked about nut width, string spacing, but I think another factor is neck profile. I bring this up because I had never thought about it. Even when I bespoke a custom uke, I never asked for anything special. Luckily the luthier did something that I happened to adore. The neck profile was somewhat flat (I think guitarists call it the D shape). So when thinking about nut width and string spacing on the front of the uke, also remember to consider the back of the neck as well

Perhaps you tried a classical guitar? They have flat fretboards and abnormally high actions. Plus, you need scary fingernails to really play them.
Give acoustic and electric guitars a try instead. All have a radiused fretboards and lower action.

I tried both, standard flattop and classical, no go. I need a radiused ukulele. So I bought one, it works great.

Top Bottom