Paying Import Duty

In Italy it's pretty random.

They'll choose a certain amount of packages and check them.
So far I've been pretty unlucky as every single item shipped from outside the EU always have been taxed unless it was less than 22€ (this has been mentioned before I believe).

Even when labeling "gift" you'll still have to pay and the worst part is that if a value isn't declared, the post office will try to get in contact with the seller to know the real value and if they don't reply, they'll ship the item back or keep it forever, unless you find a way to contact the customs directly and give them proof of the value.

If it is random in Italy, then the EU countries differ a lot.
In Denmark, every non EU parcel is checked. If value above approximately €10, I need to pay something like €15 handling fee, customs and 25% VAT. For ukuleles the customs is only 3%, but that handling fee really makes it worth avoiding overseas online shopping.

Huh. Good to know.

When I bought my Cocobolo tenor, the DHL shipping was $110 USD from Nicaragua to my door in Wisconsin, USA. No added fees or costs, and it was delivered in a week.

Huh. I don't think I've ever been bit by this and I've bought flutes and whistles from around the world. Hmm, the one exception might be the Pelem Guitalele I got from Indonesia. "Shipping" on that was absolutely insane (like $180, no joke) so maybe there was some of this funny business included.

As someone said above, and I've had confirmation for this, when the value is over $800, the taxes kick in. Cocobolo ukes from Nicaragua are under that limit, so I've never had to pay extra.

Huh. Good to know.

When I bought my Cocobolo tenor, the DHL shipping was $110 USD from Nicaragua to my door in Wisconsin, USA. No added fees or costs, and it was delivered in a week.

You were under the $800 limit. I bought one for $748 and another for $765. Knowing about that $800, I'll be more careful buying from other countries.

You should ask what the "government" fee is for exactly, as it doesn't appear to be duty. Duty is calculated as a percentage of value, and the value on this was put as 0.00.

Yes, I noticed that 00.00 value. You think I can ask the government a question? :D It took me half an hour to get through to a person at UPS. Southern Ukulele Store checked the papers, and said it looks right. I think that $800 limit is the key.

I'm wondering if this is going to be commonplace now, or if I just got caught in an odd combination of circumstances. This is the first time in my life that I have had to pay import fees.

You might feel better about the $108 if you imagine it spread out among all the things you didn

I recently bought a uke direct from China. Cost was seventy-nine US dollars, inc p&p. I expected to pay VAT, plus Import Duty, plus a handling (or collection) charge, but the seller stated the value on the shipping label as ten dollars. No extra charges at all.

That was a very pleasant surprise!

John Colter

Top Bottom