Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Paying Import Duty

Default Paying Import Duty

I ordered a uke from England, and it was held in the UPS warehouse, "waiting for information." I didn't know what they meant, but after two days, I called UPS. The "Tariff Form" was missing some info. Long story short, the seller got it straightened out.

Last night I get an email from UPS. I have to pay $108 in import duties. This is an American-made uke sold by a seller in England, and I have to pay an import duty. I have bought ukes from Japan, China, Australia, and New Zealand, yet I never had to pay an import duty. If the amount wasn't so high, this would be funny.
    Too many ukes, but I can't stop buying!
    https://www.catskillukulelegroup.com/

The application of import duties by the different transportation companies seems to vary. So far I’ve never had import duty on a package sent via the Postal Service.

Most , if not all of the time UPS collects fees. UPS has a weird way of collecting fees. One time the UPS Delivery person informed me upon delivery there was a duty to be paid. He wanted to know if I even wanted to accept the package or send it back. He was surprised when I wanted to pay it and had to call and find out how to accept payment. At the time they would only accept a check. Other times UPS has sent me electronic payment options prior to delivery. My bottom line is that I would prefer not to have things sent via UPS internationally. Post office seems to be the best way for international shipping.
    -Hodge
    Humble strummer of fine ukes.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc_J View Post
    The application of import duties by the different transportation companies seems to vary. So far I’ve never had import duty on a package sent via the Postal Service.

Most , if not all of the time UPS collects fees. UPS has a weird way of collecting fees. One time the UPS Delivery person informed me upon delivery there was a duty to be paid. He wanted to know if I even wanted to accept the package or send it back. He was surprised when I wanted to pay it and had to call and find out how to accept payment. At the time they would only accept a check. Other times UPS has sent me electronic payment options prior to delivery. My bottom line is that I would prefer not to have things sent via UPS internationally. Post office seems to be the best way for international shipping.
    This money goes to the government and a broker.

Import Fee.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Doc_J View Post

Same here. I've been assessed by both UPS and DHL. Never had any duties charged by any government postal service.

Substantial import duties for goods imported from outside of the EU here. On pretty much everything. Those taxes are put into the pot and used for the NHS, the police, the military, local and national infrastructure, oh, and my salary as a government employee. Not something I have any issue with really.
    Kamaka HF-3DC - KoAloha KTM-S00 - Kanile'a SUS B DLX - Pono MBD-CR - Pono MGTP5-PC

This is something that I've always been a bit puzzled by. It does seem that Americans often don't have to pay any import costs but here in the EU it's different. Buying within EU is all good but if I import anything outside of the EU I always have to pay VAT (for me it's 24%) on top of what the goods cost me if the value of the goods exceeds 22 Euros. I believe it's the same for most other EU countries as well. The US might have some trade agreements with other countries as well that does away with import costs but even then it seems to vary quite a bit if import costs ever come into play in the US.

Quote Originally Posted by Dohle View Post
    This is something that I've always been a bit puzzled by. It does seem that Americans often don't have to pay any import costs but here in the EU it's different. Buying within EU is all good but if I import anything outside of the EU I always have to pay VAT (for me it's 24%) on top of what the goods cost me if the value of the goods exceeds 22 Euros. I believe it's the same for most other EU countries as well. The US might have some trade agreements with other countries as well that does away with import costs but even then it seems to vary quite a bit if import costs ever come into play in the US.
    We could get into a discussion about taxes vs services, but I suspect that could take a turn for the worse.

I'm wondering if this is going to be commonplace now, or if I just got caught in an odd combination of circumstances. This is the first time in my life that I have had to pay import fees.

I belonged to a motorcycle club in Spain. One of the members owned a motorcycle shop in Madrid and I bought a couple of shirts and a motorcycle jacket from him. I paid for them, but he sent it all as a gift. A few years later a couple members wanted a couple of particular Yamaha USA caps that they couldn't get in Spain. They were worried though about customs and i just told them I would buy the caps and they didn't need to pay me. I shipped them as a gift. I don't think they had to pay any fees.
    Last edited by Rllink; 10-17-2020 at 04:50 AM.
    I don't want to live in a world that is linear.

I just want everyone to understand that I am not a ukulele expert, even though it may look at times like I'm pretending to be.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...tective+Agency

I've noticed in my bank account online that every-so-often I would get an international fee of a few dollars when I buy from England, Japan, Canada, China, but not always, must depend on the delivery service, I guess.

This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly Grove near the Beverly Center
    9 tenor cutaway ukes, 4 acoustic bass ukes, 12 solid body bass ukes, 14 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 39)

Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
    Member The CC Strummers: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

In the EU it's really very simple and you can easily work out what a $2,000 ukulele will actually cost you to buy and import. There are no hidden charges. If once you have worked it out you decide it is too much to pay then you don't buy it. Three of mine were imported from the USA and I always knew what the total cost was going to be give or take 20 quid or so depending on the exchange rate at the time.
    Kamaka HF-3DC - KoAloha KTM-S00 - Kanile'a SUS B DLX - Pono MBD-CR - Pono MGTP5-PC

Thread Information