Strings change on new Fluke concert?

gerardo1000

Reaction score
Suggestions for different strings on new Fluke concert?

I just got from Magic Fluke a beautiful Fluke Concert, walnut laminated top, hardwood fretboard and peghead tuners. I like everithing about this uke, however I find its tone (for my personal taste, of course) a bit too focused on the mid range and a little bit dark, with a quite boomy C string.. The Fluke has the factory installed D'Addario Nyltech strings (similar to Aquilas I think). Before I start the long quest to buy several strings and try them all, I wonder if you can give me any recommendation of strings that can make the sound a bit clearer and brighter, still maintaining the fundamenral charateristic of warmth that I guess is typical of this instrument. Thanks !

Last edited:
I recommend you wait a week or so before any changes. That'll give your uke and strings time to settle in.

Giving it some time and getting to know it better with the current strings, as mentioned above, is not a bad idea at all.

My go to strings are D'addario carbon (fluorocarbon). If you're still missing brightness you might have to try one of the Aquila strings that is more known for being really bright. I can't remember the model number.
You are right though, those ukes are just really full sounding to begin with. It has been a while since I had one, but I remember having to play a little softer to keep it from distorting to my ears...but even playing softer it was still louder than many ukes. A Fluke concert was my first uke ever and it wasn't long after they came out. I was already a guitar player. I remember being blown away with the volume that thing put out...just not what I was expecting. I guess I had it in mind ukes were quieter.
I hope you enjoy your new instrument. Those walnut tops look really nice!

Top Bottom