Thread: Do electronics affect acoustic sound?

Default Do electronics affect acoustic sound?

I’m considering solid wood ukuleles and see that Flight ukuleles often come with pickups standard. I do not expect to ever use the electronics, is there any downside to having them? It seems like adding any item in a sound hole would affect the acoustics.

I am interested in the best sound possible without amplification. Should I stay away from pickups?

Down side? Yes, extra cost, extra weight, extra parts to break and rattle.
    Stay away? Yes, since you aren't planning to ever use it.

They add weight and if attached to top will diminish vibrations. If you don't intend to plug it makes more sense to spend money on better uke quality as half of value is tied up in electronics for a budget uke like this.

I guess you have one more question in the thread's subject line.
    Yes, it can affect the acoustic sound, but usually not. However, if it does, it is usually bad.

Does a pickup affect the acoustic sound? Maybe a tiny bit.

Will a normal uke player notice it? No.

The biggest question, as others have said, is how better you can spend your money. There are lots of other factors that make a much bigger difference in the acoustic sound than the electronics.

When I started out I thought that I would never use them. Things change, now I wouldn't buy one without. Does it affect the sound? Not enough that anyone I play for has said anything. Too heavy? I can handle the extra oz that a MiSi or an LR Baggs adds. Even a clunky Joyo is less than two.
    Last edited by Rllink; 10-19-2020 at 12:35 PM.
    I don't want to live in a world that is linear.

I just want everyone to understand that I am not a ukulele expert, even though it may look at times like I'm pretending to be.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...tective+Agency

The ones with the control box cut into the side usually use 9 volt batteries to power them. And I have heard numerous people complain that the electronic tuner is not very accurate.

The easiest solution is a passive pickup, with no electronics on the uke other than the piezo under-saddle strip or pad(s) stuck to the back of the soundboard. But you can always add a passive or active pickup should you ever decide you want one at a guitar shop or a luthier.
    There is a subtle yet profound difference between the learning of something and the knowing of that thing.
    You can learn by reading, but you don’t begin to know until you begin to try to do.

—Lou Churchill, Plane & Pilot Magazine

Thread Information