Season 453 - Laundry day

UkingViking

Reaction score
Welcome to Season 453 of the Ukulele - Laundry day!

It is late in Denmark, and I will skip the intro video and do this in writing.

I was only recently made aware that the scandinavian word for saturday means washing day. The language changed so much over the centuries that I would never have guessed. Fun fact! Saturday just ended where I am, but washing theme will last all week.

For this week I would like to hear songs about washing, or bathing, or something that is dirty or clean, or songs where pieces of clothing that could be laundered or dry cleaned play an important role.

The usual rules apply,
- No posting before midnight Hawaii time
- 8 days of songs
- Ukulele must be prominent if working with more instruments

More rules this week:
- Limit of one song per day

I will start a playlist when the entries start coming :)

Playlist: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBASrFJYYFtK_v4_9bHWUuISvEecueLgO

Last edited:
Interesting theme and I look forwards to seeking songs that fit the theme :D

Just to add some weekday facts then, aside from Saturday, the English weekdays themselves are named after Old Norse gods.
Tuesday = Tywasday (Tyr is the God of War); Wednesday from Wodinsday = Odinsday (ya'll know Odin); Thursday = Thorsday (God of more things than just thunder); Friday = Freday/Frigday (Frigg is the Goddess of Wisdom/Foresight). No need to mention Sun & Moon days.

As a side-note then around the year 1200, about 200 years after Iceland agreed to become christian, the church forced Icelanders to abandon the old weekday names - this was because people still worshipped the old gods in secret... which the church did not like and thus Tuesday to Friday became Thridjudagur (3rd day), Midvikudagur (Midweek day), Fimmtudagur (5th day), and Fostudagur (Fasting day) - We got to keep Laugardagur (laug=pool of water), Sunnudagur (Sunday) and Manudagur (Moonday).

For some reason I cannot post messages with acute accent markers, umlauts/diaeresis markers, eth's (d with a line) or thorn (like a p and a b mixed together) so some 'sounds' are missing from above :p

The English Saturday was named after the Roman God Saturn who was the God of agriculture, especially of seed corn for some bizarre reason. He's usually portrayed with a scythe

Interesting theme, btw

Peculiar that Cazteclo was to come with more facts, since it was an icelandic colleague who told me what it meant :)
In Denmark, Norway and Sweden Laugardagur had been shortened to Loerdag, which doesnt have any obvious references in modern language.

And the "oe" In Loerdag should have been a danish letter, the o with the line across, but I am not allowed to use that apparently.

Last edited:
Double post, I had to try twice before realizing I couldnt use Scandinavian letters.

Last edited:
That's a great idea for the week, Mikkel! (Interestingly, Monday was always the traditional washing day in the U.K.)

in Finland Wednesday is Keskiviikko or middle of the week.

The Finnish word Lauantai = Saturday and the Swedish word lordag come
from the ancient Germanic word laugr, which means bath.
So Saturday is a bath day, and in Finland it is traditionally the
day for having sauna.

Last edited:
a few songs come to my mind.
thank you Mikkel.
i look forward to listening.

in Finland Wednesday is Keskiviikko or middle of the week.

The Finnish word Lauantai = Saturday and the Swedish word lordag come
from the ancient Germanic word laugr, which means bath.
So Saturday is a bath day, and in Finland it is traditionally the
day for having sauna.

I love saunas - One day I hope to come to Finland and try a real sauna.
Excellent sauna video - I tend to sit on the top bench of my parent sauna when I visit (one day I hope to have my own)

For Season 453 of the ukulele, we're playing songs about Laundry. Syd Barrett's early Pink Floyd single "Arnold Layne" is about a fellow who apparently enjoys stealing garments from clotheslines in the night. For concert ukulele with singing, overdubs of Ashbory Ubass and secondary vocal.

thanks for hosting, Mikkel!

A Stonewall Jackson song but the first time I heard it was from the Spencer Davis group

Ahoy everybody.
I was unsure of what to play and then I remembered some washing happening in Beck's underrated song 'Whiskeyclone, Hotel City 1997'

Peculiar that Cazteclo was to come with more facts, since it was an icelandic colleague who told me what it meant :)
In Denmark, Norway and Sweden Laugardagur had been shortened to Loerdag, which doesnt have any obvious references in modern language.

And the "oe" In Loerdag should have been a danish letter, the o with the line across, but I am not allowed to use that apparently.

Yeah, normally the alt-0248 would give the o with the diagonal line through it, but the forum software doesn't accept it. That's a shame.

Last edited:
Season of the Ukulele 453 asks for songs "about washing, or bathing, or something that is dirty or clean." The final verse of "Come by Me" by Forest Sun has some dish washing, "till the pots and pans shine," as he sings. As for a dirty part (or at least a double entendre part), see if you can spot one...

Also, check out the original at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JchrlLtsjS4.

Last edited:
Top Bottom