Season 453 - Laundry day

Yeah, normally the alt-0248 would give the o with the diagonal line through it, but the forum software doesn't accept it. That's a shame.

Yes, it's weird. Scandinavian/Icelandic letters all display perfectly well in post 'preview', but not only does the software not accept them, it truncates the post as soon as it encounters one...

A green shirt - not to be washed with the whites.

Lead mining was an important industry in England's North Pennine Dales from Roman times (and possibly earlier) until the beginning of the 20th century. Part of processing the ore was to wash it to separate the smaller ore particles from the other materials that were brought up with the ore. Ore washing at one time was done by women and boys not old enough to work down the mines themselves. The process was unpleasant manual work - cold and wet - and was largely mechanised using water power in later years. This song was originally collected from a former Lead Miner from Teessdale who reputedly said you could be sacked if mangement heard you singing it. When the Lead mines began to seriously decline in the late nineteenth century, many of the miners emigrated and later ended up working lead mines in Wisconsin. I remember having a discussion with Randy about this.

Ahoy ya'll

Here is a song that has a verse about a man who has dirty and mangy hair

First song that came to mind, as soon I read "Dirty"! Some Split Enz for you again.

Season 453 Washday. My humble attempt at a Rory Gallagher song. Brilliant Irish Blues guitarist and singer.

This is not a slavish copy but an interpretation on an acoustic bari sized guilele.......

It's Hard To Keep A White Shirt Clean Corb Lund wrote this for Wille P. Bennett, who often wore a white shirt on stage. Unfortunately , Willie never got to hear it as he passed away in 2008. Willie was a good friend and mentor to both of my sons and a friend and inspiration to me as well. I have a few of his harmonicas and hope that they still have his mojo on 'em.
Willie P.jpg Willie P Willie P. harps.jpg Willie P's harps

Like many of the tunes that I post here, this is one that I usually play on the guitar and this was its virgin voyage on the uke.

Last edited:
Hello, Mikkel! This is one of the first songs which occurred to me for the week ... and goes all the way back to the Second World War. If it seems rather jingoistic, there were also German and French versions. The Siegfried Line was built (secretly at first) by Hitler, prior to the start of the War. It ran a distance all the way from the top of the German border (the Netherlands), down to Switzerland in the south. The British Expeditionary Force, of which the songwriter was a member, were never in a position to breach it - or hang up their washing - as they were repelled by the Nazis, resulting in the evacuation at Dunkirk. In 1944, though, the Siegfried Line proved a difficult obstacle for the advancing Allied Forces.

Here's That Good Old Electric Washing Machine by John Hartford. I can't really make the wonderful washing machine noises that John makes, but it's such an "On Topic" song that I had to give it a shot, and it gives me a chance to use my Slingerland May Belle banjolele (with a lonely red sock stuffed between the head and the dowel stick Wee)

banjosback.jpg

Last edited:
Val's rendition reminded me of a version I did with my granddaughter Elli
a few years ago. It still warms my heart to hear her sing and to have that
rapport with another person to be able to make music together, so if you
will indulge me I will post the video here and I hope you enjoy it

Here's That Good Old Electric Washing Machine by John Hartford. I can't really make the wonderful washing machine noises that John makes, but it's such an "On Topic" song that I had to give it a shot, and it gives me a chance to use my Slingerland May Belle banjolele (with a lonely red sock stuffed between the head and the dowel stick Wee)

View attachment 130133

That ending was pulsating.

An original from me that uses the word wash in the title. It was inspired by J.M. Synge's play "Riders to the Sea". Written especially for this Season.

Hope you enjoy:

Val's rendition reminded me of a version I did with my granddaughter Elli
a few years ago. It still warms my heart to hear her sing and to have that
rapport with another person to be able to make music together, so if you
will indulge me I will post the video here and I hope you enjoy it

That was lovely, Rob ... Elli did a brilliant job!

That was lovely, Rob ... Elli did a brilliant job!

I sent her the video as a reminder and asked if she still liked to spin to see if she could do things
under pressure... her reply was "not for a while now"... that is a real grown up answer.
Ahh the wonder of a lost childhood.

Top Bottom