Season 453 - Laundry day

Val's rendition reminded me of a version I did with my granddaughter Elli
a few years ago. It still warms my heart to hear her sing and to have that
rapport with another person to be able to make music together, so if you
will indulge me I will post the video here and I hope you enjoy it

Excellent rendition!
Since it an old recording, it is not going on the playlist, but that shouldn't stop people from watching it :)

I believe I managed to tidy up the playlist, so all the videos are there, let me know if I missed someone.

Val's rendition reminded me of a version I did with my granddaughter Elli
a few years ago. It still warms my heart to hear her sing and to have that
rapport with another person to be able to make music together, so if you
will indulge me I will post the video here and I hope you enjoy it

Under pressure ... she was fantastic, Rob!

a request from the peanut gallery
would love it if someone played a version of George Formby's 'Chinese Laundry Blues' :)

Ha ha ha, I was just fiddling with that last night Jon. I'll trade you for "Hate It Here"?

In the meantime you'll have to settle for an old summer camp song.

Breakfast At Sweethearts (Cold Chisel)

OK the link to the theme may not be obvious, but a street sweeper has a recurring role in the narrative. Enjoy!

This traditional Finnish polka has a couple of different versions of lyrics. One of them is about sauna, urging to make the sauna even hotter - "Loylya lissaa". With ukulele and a bit of jaw harp.

Roll him over, give him a Coca-Cola, a lemon soda, a saucer of ice-cream;
It takes soap and water to keep it clean.

We call this the laundry section:
Washboard with NB license.jpg washtub bass.jpg

Cony Island Washboard would be a perfect song for this season, but I've already done it, so here's a variation.

When my friend Washboard Hank turned 50 about 15 years ago, we had a party at the local watering hole. I decided to modify an old jug band song with some new lyrics. At that time Hank had a band called The Gravestone Lickers that played every Thursday at the Peterborough Arms. My son Clayton played mandolin in that band and would have to dodge Hank's Pete Townsend style windmill arm swings. The mandolin survived, but he did get a bloody nose once.
One of Hank's songs was about do-nut shops:
Now you don't have to call a cop
When you're looking for a do-nut shop
Down each and every road you go
You'll find them in Ontario. . .

Hank had something new fastened to his Stradivarius Washboard every time I saw him.

Washboard Hank_with_his_washboard.jpg

"Thimbles on a golf glove made the noise." Hank tapes thimbles on the fingers of a golf glove.
Hank's glove.jpg

Last edited:
a request from the peanut gallery
would love it if someone played a version of George Formby's 'Chinese Laundry Blues' :)

Seeing as how I’d already considered it enough to noodle around with it a bit I definitely can’t say no to this man’s request. I hope you enjoy listening to it as much as I enjoyed playing it Jon.

In sort of classic Formby fashion there are flirtations with naughty (for the 1930’s maybe) rhymes. The first, with flickers, is probably pretty obvious, the second, with tricky, maybe less so... Here’s the wiki link.

Here's an original from me. It's a bit of a loose fit but the first line popped into my head and I wasn't going to waste it.

Hi,

This one seemed like a natural for this season!

Seeing as how I’d already considered it enough to noodle around with it a bit I definitely can’t say no to this man’s request. I hope you enjoy listening to it as much as I enjoyed playing it Jon.

In sort of classic Formby fashion there are flirtations with naughty (for the 1930’s maybe) rhymes. The first, with flickers, is probably pretty obvious, the second, with tricky, maybe less so... Here’s the wiki link.

And here are the post Laundry Blues............

Mr Wu's A Window Cleaner Now !

This is the very first song that popped in my head for this week's theme. :3

Season # 453's theme is Laundry Day, and this is my favorite laundry related song. Also this is my first time playing the bass line! Awesome electric ukulele, harmony, and mix added by Kevin Griffin. I played my ubass and sang lead vocals. Video footage from the Prelinger Archive https://archive.org/details/prelinger I had a blast editing this one.

And here are the post Laundry Blues............

Mr Wu's A Window Cleaner Now !

And if we were to ask Mr. Wu what he saw when he was up on his ladder I imagine he might answer something like this...

New strings this afternoon so half a step up to play them in a little.

Good season so far Mikkel, thanks for hosting.

After missing thursday night, I believe the playlist is up to date again. 40 videos this far.

Let me know if I missed any!

Top Bottom