What instrument am I looking for?

>> I suggest an 8-string baritone

Very interesting! These are nylon strings?

Okay, I'll add another thought or two.

The Pono Steel String Bari's are great imho. I have one and find it to be quite nice. Very resonant with incredible sustain.

I also have an 8 string Bari. That's a good option as well. I hope to post a video of it soon because I use it in an unusual way. I have removed two strings to make it a 6 stringer and I replaced the Low G string with a Guadalupe low G string (which is an octave lower than a low G on a tenor uke). If you aren't familiar with the Guadalupe strings you can research them. The set of Guadalupe strings I have are designed to be used on a baritone to allow it to be tuned GCEA but an octave lower than the normal ukulele.

So taking the low low G from that set and adding it to the 8 string (now 6 string Bari) it goes: DdGgBE (with the "g" being the extra low Guad string). It produces quite a sound.
I find it hauntingly good. It gives the Bari a full and resonant tone. I especially like the Hi G and Low G combination. It takes some getting used to as the string diameter of the two G strings vary greatly - but with just a little practice, they can both be heard.

Reading this thread looks like several options exist - hope your hunt for the sound you're looking for goes well.

I also have an 8 string Bari. That's a good option as well. I hope to post a video of it soon because I use it in an unusual way. I have removed two strings to make it a 6 stringer and I replaced the Low G string with a Guadalupe low G string (which is an octave lower than a low G on a tenor uke). If you aren't familiar with the Guadalupe strings you can research them. The set of Guadalupe strings I have are designed to be used on a baritone to allow it to be tuned GCEA but an octave lower than the normal ukulele.

So taking the low low G from that set and adding it to the 8 string (now 6 string Bari) it goes: DdGgBE (with the "g" being the extra low Guad string). It produces quite a sound.
I find it hauntingly good. It gives the Bari a full and resonant tone. I especially like the Hi G and Low G combination. It takes some getting used to as the string diameter of the two G strings vary greatly - but with just a little practice, they can both be heard.

Fascinating. Got any recordings of this setup?

>> I suggest an 8-string baritone

Very interesting! These are nylon strings?
I special order my 8-string baritone strings from HERE. My orders specify as follows:

I would like a custom set of low-to-medium tension fluorocarbon strings for an 8-string baritone uke tuned as follows:
E-B-G-D: #1 (E) octave, #2 (B) unison, #3 (G) octave, #4 (D) octave.

That is: eE-BB-gG-dD

The seller (Strings by Mail) sends me a price quote within 1-2 days.

Last edited:
I got a Kmise "Tenor Guitar" and am quite happy with it: wide neck 21 1/2 inch scale length, small body - like a poor man's Pono UL4. Tuned DGBE with Elixir strings it plays easily and I get that steel string vibe.
The closer was it's $80 price - well worth an experiment!
It's loud and sweet, but I wouldn't say it had a full/huge sound; I think the body size limits that.
https://www.amazon.com/Kmise-Guitar-Mahogany-Instrument-ukulele/dp/B07Y4R33M9

I got a Kmise "Tenor Guitar" and am quite happy with it: wide neck 21 1/2 inch scale length, small body - like a poor man's Pono UL4. Tuned DGBE with Elixir strings it plays easily and I get that steel string vibe.
The closer was it's $80 price - well worth an experiment!
It's loud and sweet, but I wouldn't say it had a full/huge sound; I think the body size limits that.
https://www.amazon.com/Kmise-Guitar-Mahogany-Instrument-ukulele/dp/B07Y4R33M9

Very interesting -- many thanks (to you and everyone that's replied). So many things to experiment with!

For the moment, I've ordered an Ibaniz AVT1 tenor guitar. If the neck turns out to be too narrow, I will try this one instead. But something tells me I'm going to wind up with some flavor of big baritone ukulele sooner or later...

* (It's a Lauren BU36, in case anybody has heard of that -- the internet has mostly not, apparently. No idea what it's made of.)

I saw it on Elderly, all laminate. If you get a chance to try a baritone with a solid spruce or cedar top it will sound quite a bit better!

Last edited:
Personally I think you should try a better quality Baritone ukulele made of all solid woods in the $500-1000+ price range.
I had a Pono baritones with solid Cedar and mahogany tops which really sang - louder than some guitars! I had a Kamaka baritone too before, and darn it was buttery and lovely sounding!

I had a Pono Nui baritone (nylon string version), but personally I didn't really find it to be as good as I had hoped it to be.
With only 4 strings, a body of that size felt a bit 'wasted'.

That being said, going from ukulele to guitar only took about a week or less of getting used to.
You just gotta 'relearn' the chords with addition of the 2 bass strings. It's NOT as hard as you might be thinking.

I play both guitar and ukulele of all shapes and sizes, be it soprano, tenor, baritone... bass, electric, acoustic, classical, nylon-stringed, steel-stringed, etc.
4-string and 6 string instrument have different properties for playability. I ended up preferring nylon strings.

From what you are describing, it sounds to me your logical next step is a better baritone ukulele.
There is a huge difference in sound between an entry level generic baritone made in China and "the next level" from a reputable brand.

Personally I am not currently keen on 4-string steel string instruments like tenor guitars. I owned a whole batch of them in the past too (Ozark tenor guitar, steel string electrics, Eastwood electric tenor guitar, etc, I've lost count)
Steel strings change the feel of the playing considerably from nylon, and personally I much prefer having steel strings on a 6-string guitar rather than 4 string. Nylon just works better on a 4 stringed instrument, though your mileage may differ.

Last edited:
Very interesting -- many thanks (to you and everyone that's replied). So many things to experiment with!

For the moment, I've ordered an Ibaniz AVT1 tenor guitar. If the neck turns out to be too narrow, I will try this one instead. But something tells me I'm going to wind up with some flavor of big baritone ukulele sooner or later...

Congratulations on the purchase of the Ibaniz tenor guitar. One of my playing partners has one and she likes it. You have to start the experiment somewhere and the only way you know if you like an instrument is to own it and give it a really good try.

Many thanks, again, for all the helpful replies. I went silent for a few days to get used to the AVT1 tenor guitar; now I can report on that experiment. I don't think this is the ideal instrument for me, but for different reasons from what I expected.

First, I find myself agreeing with @kissing that steel strings on a 4-string instrument do not make my ear nearly as happy as on a six-string -- maybe because of body size, or maybe because the two extra strings add passive resonance? Anyway, although the sound is indeed richer than nylon strings, it is uncomfortably bright for me. I actually prefer the sound of my cheap baritone ukulele!

Second, the dimensions do not feel quite right, but not in the way I expected. I was worried about the nut width, which turns out to be just fine. I was not worried about scale length, which turns out to be a much bigger issue: the extra stretching needed to get across multiple frets makes many chords noticeably more awkward. (My current ukulele is 19.5"; the tenor guitar is 23". One confounding factor is that the steel strings also make fretting more awkward because they require more force to depress, so it's hard to judge how I'd like a longer neck with nylon strings.)

So I appear to be back to many people's original advice (but now with added confidence that it is sound :): I should look for a better baritone, maybe around $600-$1000, though perhaps not as big as a Pono Nui.

If people have any recommendations for instruments in this category (or pointers to relevant discussions), I'd be grateful. There seem to be many choices.

Your experience was the same as mine with a tenor guitar, especially when comparing to a six string acoustic, not as rich sounding.

If you like a full, rich, resonant guitar like sound get a baritone with either a spruce or cedar top and hardwood back, all solid woods. Pono make those in your price range, below $600 either Mainland or Ohana.

There is a used Mya Moe baritone Port Orford cedar and Sycamore for sale in the Classified section. I would run, not walk and buy that immediately if I was in the market. I am not affiliated with this person, no interest in this at all. I own a Mya Moe baritone, I bought used here and it is fabulous as all Mya Moe ukes are.

The price is crazy good, I can’t see this lasting long, go have a look.

Thank you -- I will take a look!

In case I miss it, one further question: Many people have mentioned spruce or cedar tops, but the Pono baritones seem to mostly use the same wood (mahogany, mango, or acacia) for the whole body. Is this a design fault?

Thank you -- I will take a look!

In case I miss it, one further question: Many people have mentioned spruce or cedar tops, but the Pono baritones seem to mostly use the same wood (mahogany, mango, or acacia) for the whole body. Is this a design fault?

Pono make baritones with a number of different wood combo. What you see on their site is what they have in stock at the moment. Sound is a personal choice and all the different woods used sound good. The 4 baritones I own are all mahogany, all koa and 2 spruce top. Spruce and cedar usually have more sustain and projection, but other woods sound very good.

Following this thread has sent me on so many imaginary guitar shopping trips! And saved me so much time and money. Not to mention saving me relearning fifths tuning, which would have been a pain, as violins don’t normally do chords. Thank you!

Top Bottom