Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stu Fuchs and the ukulele family

Default Stu Fuchs and the ukulele family

In April of 2019, my local ukulele group leaders arranged for Stu Fuchs to come to Salt Lake City to do a workshop. It was wonderful. Stu is a great teacher. His love for the ukulele, and his ability to share that with people is so awesome. He was scheduled to return this summer, but, you know......Covid. So my uke club leader and Stu came up with a Zoom workshop idea that took place yesterday. It was so much fun, and I learned a lot about spicing up my strumming. Lots to practice now.

In addition to Stu's great teaching, I was so overjoyed to see my local ukulele family on the screen. Just to see their faces & chat was so wonderful. I miss playing with them so much. There were over 100 people attending the workshop from all over the US, UK, and Canada. As I scanned the screens to see my Salt Lake City friends, I saw two of my new friends from Ukulele Catskill in New York. I played hooky from the Ukulele Catskill Saturday Zoom jam to attend the workshop, so seeing them was a bonus thrill. My local uke family, combined with my online distant uke family all in one place. So cool.

The world is big......but the ukulele brings us all together.
    My ukulele family.....
    KoAloha Koa concert - circa 2006 (Living Waters)
    aNueNue Moon Bird concert - Spruce & Rosewood - 2018 (Blackwater)
    Blackbird Clara - 2019 (Oasis Bright)
    Cocobolo concert - 2019 (Worth Brown)

What a nice post, thanks for sharing that. I was part of a Ukulele Chit Chat on Zoom with 4 others from our Uke Jam. We actually play together as a band for open mic performances. I forgot how much fun we always had. Making an arrangement, assigning parts putting a performance together and practicing at one another
    Currently enjoying these ukuleles : *LdfM tenor, *LfdM 19" super tenor. *LfdM baritone, *I'iwi tenor , *Koolau tenor, *Webber tenor, *Kimo tenor, *Kimo super concert, *Mya Moe baritone, *Kamaka baritone, *Gianinni baritone, *Fred Shields walnut pineapple super soprano, *Kala super soprano, *Loprinzi super soprano, *Black bear ULO concert , *Enya X1 concert, *Enya X1 pineapple soprano, *Enya Nova *Gretsch tenor, *Korala plastic concert

Quote Originally Posted by RafterGirl View Post
    In April of 2019, my local ukulele group leaders arranged for Stu Fuchs to come to Salt Lake City to do a workshop. It was wonderful. Stu is a great teacher. His love for the ukulele, and his ability to share that with people is so awesome.

The world is big......but the ukulele brings us all together.
    Yeah, Stu is great. I've been to several of his workshops, jammed with him a couple of times, and ran sound for him at a Concert at Old Songs in Voorheesville, NY the night before the Spring Into Uke festival he headlined. (I ran sound for that, too)

I also support Stu on Patreon, especially since he hasn't been able to tour, and he and his wife have a new baby.

-Kurt
    Banjo Ukes: Southern Cross, Firefly, Stella
    Sopranos: Donaldson, Timms, Moku, Waterman, Bugsgear, Outdoor, Waverly Street, Harmony
    Concerts:Cocobolo #460 &#412, Ohana CK450QEL, CK-65D, Rosewood Vita, Mahogany Vita,
    Donaldson Custom, Epi Les Paul, National Triolian Reso, Republic
    Tenors: Kala KA-KTG-CY, KoAloha Sceptre, Fluke, Cordoba 20TM
    Bass: Fluke Timber

Am I done?

...Maybe?...

My YouTube Channel

We got to meet baby Rowan at the beginning of the Zoom workshop. Stu is such an inspiring teacher. One thing he said during the workshop really resonated with me in terms of learning new things with my ukulele playing, and life in general during these challenging times........."drop by drop, our bucket gets filled."
    My ukulele family.....
    KoAloha Koa concert - circa 2006 (Living Waters)
    aNueNue Moon Bird concert - Spruce & Rosewood - 2018 (Blackwater)
    Blackbird Clara - 2019 (Oasis Bright)
    Cocobolo concert - 2019 (Worth Brown)

Quote Originally Posted by ksiegel View Post
    Yeah, Stu is great. I've been to several of his workshops, jammed with him a couple of times, and ran sound for him at a Concert at Old Songs in Voorheesville, NY the night before the Spring Into Uke festival he headlined. (I ran sound for that, too)

-Kurt
    When was that? It must have been before my time.
    Too many ukes, but I can't stop buying!
    https://www.catskillukulelegroup.com/

I attended and had a wonderful time. Stu has the ability to appeal to all levels of players and reminds you of many of the "important" things like relaxing and breathing. All his sessions on YouTube and Patreon are incredibly good and make me feel good.

It is cool that you got to reconnect with others from your uke groups (old and new) as this is such a key piece that is missing currently.

He seems like a great teacher. One tip I found especially useful from one of his free videos on YT, was to relax more, and ease up on the gorilla-grip, pressing only as much as needed to get the strings on to the frets. Better tone, better intonation, and easier on your hand too.
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Jerryc41 View Post
    When was that? It must have been before my time.
    Three-four years back? I think a year or two before L'il Rev. Stu was also the headliner the first year we had the Electric City Uke Fest, so that was 8-9 years back.
    Banjo Ukes: Southern Cross, Firefly, Stella
    Sopranos: Donaldson, Timms, Moku, Waterman, Bugsgear, Outdoor, Waverly Street, Harmony
    Concerts:Cocobolo #460 &#412, Ohana CK450QEL, CK-65D, Rosewood Vita, Mahogany Vita,
    Donaldson Custom, Epi Les Paul, National Triolian Reso, Republic
    Tenors: Kala KA-KTG-CY, KoAloha Sceptre, Fluke, Cordoba 20TM
    Bass: Fluke Timber

Am I done?

...Maybe?...

My YouTube Channel

We love Stu. We consider him a kindred spirit. We've been with him in person several times, even when he was touring with Satnam Kaur. She allowed him to shine on the ukulele during the concert we attended. It was on my BD, and he even announced Happy Birthday to me over his mic.
    He led the 1st ukulele workshop I ever attended, and played his didge for us.
    "Those who bring sunshine and laughter to the lives of others cannot keep it from themselves".

Music washes from the soul, the dust of everyday living.

I think the best place for a beginning uke player to start is with Stu’s Rockabilly course. It’s inexpensive and gets players playing three chord songs in no time and gets them adding little flourishes that make three chord songs sound so much more musical. Rockabilly was good enough for the Beatles and Robbie Robertson. Stu is a great teacher and makes it fun.
    Last edited by Kimosabe; 10-19-2020 at 12:35 PM.

Thread Information