Bari strings for Kala Tenor XL, 19

Gypsyuke

Reaction score
I will be receiving this week the Kala Tenor XL solid mahogany including the top. I want to turn it like a baritone, low D. Since most modern baritones have 20” and longer scales.

Yikes, The post I just submitted via my iPad omitted at least 8 to 10 lines except for the two above. This has happened before and I don’t know why.

Anyway, to be brief, I just wanted suggestions for strings for baritone tuning, low tension. Because I tend to like a Low, full sound similar to a guitar I tend to prefer wound strings for the D and G but I’m open.

Last edited:
Pepe Romero has them. You can order them thru uke like the pros: https://store.ukelikethepros.com/co...lele-strings-for-tenor-ukulele-d-g-b-e-tuning.

The D and G are wound. It’s been a month since I put them on my tenor but memory says they were plenty long. Not sure how they will sound on your instrument. I have them on a solid spruce top solid maple tenor and like them a lot. Being picky, I will say the E string sustain is weak, but overall, they are nice. I tried them on a solid Koa tenor and I was not overly impressed.

Thomastik-Infeld CF35 and CF30 are often recommended for the D and G, then B and E can be a number of things depending on whether you want nylon or flourocarbon.

I fit standard Aquila Nylgut DGBE baritone strings to my 19" scale baritone ukuleles. Works a treat. Try any baritone strings you like.

Contact Joel at HMS, his Uke Logic strings are awesome. I have used them in tenors and baritone and have performed great in both circumstances.

Top Bottom