Quilted Maple I think

Timbuck

Reaction score
Last edited:
Maybe an optical illusion but that is very strange. The piece on the right appears to have many craters, but the one on the left appears to show mounds which when reflected would fit the craters. A 3 dimensional bookmatch. Quite incredible. Mike

Caramel CB305
Solid Spruce Top
Quilted Maple Sides and Back

I received this about a month ago. Nice rounded tone as would be expected from a Spruce top.

-WiggyCaramel CB405.JPG

Last edited:
I've seen guitars made out of wood like that and they look great. Do you think it might be difficult to bend Ken?

Lovely... Why do maples sometimes have this? See below:

There are lots of theories about why figure develops, but the ultimate cause or causes are still unknown. None of the studies have shown a direct correlation between factors like geographic location, climate, soil, rate of growth, etc. and figure in wood. It has been found that the best figured wood usually develops in straight, well-formed, and healthy trees. All types of figured wood occur in all parts of the world, but there are certain areas that yield more trees with figured wood than other areas.

For now, the reasons for the development of figure in maple or any wood will remain a mystery. Regardless of the origins of the figure in some wood, it creates a beautiful effect that enhances any piece that is made from it.

I have some quilted maple similar to that and some 'shell' maple which is the same effect but sporadically placed around the plates. Any moisture when bending and it is a cupping nightmare. Tend to be flatsawn to get the pattern.

I've seen guitars made out of wood like that and they look great. Do you think it might be difficult to bend Ken?

I've built a few out of quilted maple. It tends to bend into facets rather than smooth curves. Not for the faint of heart!

50507556061_ef3daa09b1_c.jpg

Top Bottom